Oil Painting Questions & Tips (31)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Gesso and oil paintings

Question for you oil painters:  I tried working in this medium, but it just wasn't my thing.  I have canvasses that I'm thinking I could re…

Started by Linda B

2 Jul 25, 2015
Reply by Linda B

Beginner to Oil Painting

Hi guys,   I'm very new to oil painting, but it really interests me. What materials should I have for glazing and cleaning my brushes? Also…

Started by Courtney Nusbaum

2 Jun 13, 2015
Reply by Jenifer Nadira Knight

OIL painting

How do I prepare a canvas  for oil paint that I bought that says for acrylic or oil paint?

Started by arline

4 May 9, 2015
Reply by Mai Yearby

Here's an oil painting tip to entice your curiosity for oils!

Hello folks!  Seems like it's a bit sparse in these waters, so I'm gonna throw a pebble into the pool and see what we can stir up! This is…

Started by Delmus Phelps

24 Apr 24, 2015
Reply by allison erickson-wygal

Heachaches from oil painting products?

I just started painting in oils and got a migraine from the fumes on the way home in my car from class.  I think it's from the Liquin but n…

Started by Kathy Fediw

10 Dec 27, 2014
Reply by Mj

Patina

I need to know what colors are used to mix for a Patina color you find on brass or copper for my oil painting. I've attached some examples…

Started by Little Cloud

2 Dec 10, 2014
Reply by Joan Simpson

Painting bricks? Help!

I lean more towards the Impressionistic side. I am doing a picture of a rustic door with brick walls around it, they are very worn too. Ver…

Started by Little Cloud

3 Nov 18, 2014
Reply by Little Cloud

Varvish oil based painting

Hi, I need to varnish a water based oil painting but need advice on what type of varnish to use. I can only find acrylic varnish. Thank you

Started by patricia langen

2 Nov 18, 2014
Reply by Jess

Finishing an old painting

I need to know if you need to prepare the surface of a painting I began as my first try only to become discouraged and never finished.  I r…

Started by Jan Heck

9 Nov 6, 2013
Reply by Jan Heck

acrylic under painting

my acrylic under painting turned out to strong for my portrait and I have already oiled over it any suggestion's on how to cover the lines…

Started by T C

2 Aug 29, 2013
Reply by T C

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Jane Miles 

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Members

© 2017   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service