Pastel Questions & Tips (33)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

An Oil Pastel Portrait!

Help! I am absolutely lost! I cannot get a good skin tone on an oil pastel portrait this is the first one I have ever done. It is very diff…

Started by Skylar Tucker

2 Aug 6, 2014
Reply by Vanessa Pace

How to clean Pastel Brush ?

Hello everyone, i'm newbie and a newbie in using Pastel Brush( Hours hair ) :) !!! Image here : i use them for SOft pastel, i crash the pas…

Started by Anh Nguyen

3 Jun 24, 2014
Reply by Sandra Haley

How to get depth

I have done this little picture myself and thought id put base colours and shadows but I think it is really lacking depth and im rather dis…

Started by Lisa Booker Bown

5 Feb 2, 2014
Reply by Lisa Booker Bown

Storing Soft Pastel painting

Hello, I don't want to frame all of the soft pastel paintings I've done. How do I store them in a portfolio without ruining them? 

Started by Kelley Brautigam

2 Jan 27, 2014
Reply by john david anderson

Colour of paper

Hi everyone, im in a bit of a dilemma, you see I've been using white pastel paper and am finding that when I want to put white highlights e…

Started by Lisa Booker Bown

2 Jan 19, 2014
Reply by Lisa Booker Bown

So I have my pastels, but do I have to forget using them?

I have watched some videos on pastel use and was eager to use the ones I have already purchased, but I wonder if I should .  I have asthma…

Started by Dinah Martin

8 Dec 24, 2013
Reply by Dinah Martin

Buying my first pastels

Ok, ive been reading like crazy and to me it sounds like oil pastels are for me. But i also like the idea of Pastel Pencils. As a beginner…

Started by Christina Mcclintock

56 Oct 22, 2013
Reply by Ev McTaggart

Ecologically friendly pastels

My art group would like to sponsor a street painting contest, and we are trying to find out which brand of pastels to use. We are in the Ch…

Started by Michele Frantz

6 Oct 22, 2013
Reply by Michele Frantz

Soft pastel versus oil pastel

I tried to do a portrait with soft pastel. I wasn't happy with it. I tried to do with OIL pastel..I was happy with it. Don't you think that…

Started by Ugo Paradiso

5 Oct 21, 2013
Reply by Robert A. Sloan

Soft Pastel Fixative

Hi - Can someone please recommend a fixative for soft pastels?  My son was given a drawing by a friend in college and she did not seal the…

Started by Ann Marie

11 Oct 21, 2013
Reply by Robert A. Sloan

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Jane Miles 

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Members

© 2017   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service