Pastel Questions & Tips (33)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Pastel Portraits

I am interested in starting a discussion of pastel portraits. I do portraits of canines and people in soft pastels. My website is not up to…

Started by Ebb A Berry III

3 Aug 25, 2013
Reply by Judith Holz

Underpaintings

I have been trying underpaintings with my pastel art work but have stumbled on to a problem that I was hoping someone could help me with. I…

Started by Lori Waz

3 Aug 24, 2013
Reply by Ebb A Berry III

WORKING WITH OIL PASTELS

DOES ANYONE HERE USE OIL PASTELS? I HAVE A BUNCH OF THEM BUT USING THEM ISN'T VERY COMFORTABLE. i WOULD LOVE SOME GUIDANCE

Started by Barbra Koenig

3 Jan 3, 2013
Reply by Thaneeya McArdle

Quick question....

I have a quick question.... If I see a photograph that captures my attention and I feel that it would make a great composition for a pastel…

Started by Lori Rose

5 Oct 1, 2012
Reply by Thaneeya McArdle

Hello. I need your help

I need help with a drawing of the stone. At first I wanted to do it with ivy, but I could not think of how to show all these little leaves…

Started by Olga

5 Sep 12, 2012
Reply by Virginia Ashcraft

Uses for white pastel..?

So I was just sitting here looking at my oil pastels and got to thinking... why do they have white?I've tried using it over other colors an…

Started by Sarah Davis

1 Jul 6, 2012
Reply by Tabitha

How to make your own soft pastels from scratch

Have you ever thought about making your own soft pastels? The main advantage of making your own pastels is that you can control the color(s…

Started by Thaneeya McArdle

5 May 4, 2012
Reply by Sharon Crowder

using soft pastels

Remember to buy the best pastels you can afford!  Buying cheapies will make your work look cheap for sure.  My favorites are "Rembrandt" an…

Started by Jenifer Nadira Knight

5 Apr 20, 2012
Reply by Jenifer Nadira Knight

What are Pastels?

Ok, since i am so new alot of this stuff is over my head (or i feel it is). I checked out some pastels and they look and feel like crayons…

Started by Christina Mcclintock

3 Apr 20, 2012
Reply by Iveta Autratová

OIL PASTELS

Hello everyone. I've suddenly this morning thought I would experiment with some oil pastels. I found in my art supply cupboard a box of Pen…

Started by Pauline Donohoe

13 Mar 16, 2012
Reply by Ugo Paradiso

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Jane Miles 

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Members

© 2017   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service