Hi

I love working with acrylic but they always dry really fast and I have to mix a gradient of colour before I\ start painting, so I was thinking of trying out Oil paints!I am new to oil paints and would love for someone to recommend any brand of paints that are good and at a reasonable price- however I want to invest in them as I know I will be using them for many years!

Also can someone recommend a good medium for oil paints?

Thanks

Lakes

Views: 188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you wanted to stick with acrylics, buy some acrylic retardent. Mixed with your paint, it slows down the quick drying.

There r lots of oil painting medium available in the market,you can try refined linseed oil to start or u can too use turpentine...it dries little quicker than linseed oil.If u really want to delay the drying of ur acrylics go for what Ev has suggested.

I too am having an Acrylic mid life crisis.. and thinking of trying oils.  :)   I bought a small oil set this weekend and some oderless Mineral Spirits.  Also some Daler-Rowney Low Odour Thinner.I saw on  a video that the best mixture should be 75% turpentine and 25% Linseed Oil.  and those mixtures could be changed to make dry faster or slower.  The writing is so small on the Low Odor Thinner I can't even tell what it is. 

Thanks for the replies,  I have not been on here for ages.... I bought a kit which had a palette and lineseed oil already in it...I will post the painting that I did for my final gcse piece if I ever get it back...

I never used medium for painting. I use simple acrylic colors and put the cloth or card in sunlight so that it can dry. Later I wash cloth with salt water to make it long lasting. Oil painting is good choice to make greeting cards.

gift ideas Ireland

I have tried several brands of water soluble oils and the one I like best is Art Advantage. They can be mixed with acrylic too. I love them. No turpentine. Soap and water clean up. I can use the knife if I want as well. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Jane Miles 

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Members

© 2017   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service