Hi I'm near the end of a pencil drawing of a tiger head, and I need to high light the whiskers and make them more white. Ive used white chalk pastels,it just made it look dirty. I was going to use white out,but I spent over 90 hrs on it and I dont want to reck it.

what do you suggest please.

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe white gouache would be subtle and delicate enough to highlight the whiskers?  I find White-Out hard to control even when using it for its intended purpose, but it might work if you apply it with a small, fine brush.  Or you could try white acrylic paint that is watered down a bit... If you don't have white acrylic, perhaps you could water down the White-Out to make it easier to manage. (I read somewhere that White-Out is simply white acrylic paint, don't know if that's true or not though.)

Check out Doreen's post about how she created whiskers on her lion pencil drawing: http://community.art-is-fun.com/group/realism/forum/topics/wip-lion

She writes: "I lay down graphite then pull out lights with the Stick eraser that I have chiseled with a craft knife to get a very fine erased line."

Thank you you've been a great help. I checked out Doreen's lion,awesome! There is so many great artist out there,thanks again for starting this site, I tell all my friends about it.

Glad I could help, Danny! That's great that Doreen's lion post was helpful to you too. And thanks for telling your friends about The Art Colony! There is such a great community of artists here.  :)

I have an electric eraser with a very fine tip I use to do whiskers or fine hairs.  I ordered it from Blick.

thank you, I saw one in the art shop last week,I am saving up for it.

Hi Wanda Sue

Are these electric erasers good then? I wasnt sure if it was another of those gimmicky things that was not really necessary.

Peter

Wanda Sue Bailey said:

I have an electric eraser with a very fine tip I use to do whiskers or fine hairs.  I ordered it from Blick.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Jane Miles 

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Members

© 2017   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service