"In Your Style" ~ Flamingo Style Challenge ~ 10-27-2014

Photo courtesy of Lynton Bolton from Paint My Photo, http://paintmyphoto.ning.com/photo/flamingo-14

Flamingos or flamingoes are a type of wading bird in the genus Phoenicopterus (from Greek: φοινικόπτερος, meaning "purple wing"), the only genus in the familyPhoenicopteridae. There are four flamingo species in the Americas and two species in the Old World.

Young flamingos hatch with greyish reddish plumage, but adults range from light pink to bright red due to aqueous bacteria and beta-Carotene obtained from their food supply. A well-fed, healthy flamingo is more vibrantly colored and thus a more desirable mate; a white or pale flamingo, however, is usually unhealthy or malnourished. Captive flamingos are a notable exception; many turn a pale pink as they are not fed carotene at levels comparable to the wild.

Flamingos often stand on one leg, the other leg tucked beneath the body. The reason for this behaviour is not fully understood.

The Old World flamingos were considered by the Ancient Egyptians to be the living representation of the god Ra, while in Ancient Rome, their tongues were considered a delicacy. In the Americas, the Moche people of ancient Peru worshipped nature. They placed emphasis on animals and often depicted flamingos in their art, while in The Bahamas they are the national bird. Also, Andean miners have killed flamingos for their fat, believed to be a cure for tuberculosis. In the United States, pink plastic flamingo statues are popular lawn ornaments.

We would like you to use the reference/inspiration photo to create a piece "In Your Style".

This challenge is open to all artists, whatever your medium.

Please post your finished artwork in this discussion thread. We're looking forward to seeing the diversity in art created by one reference/inspiration photo! (sorry for the double photos but my Puffin app won't let me delete the second one, lol! oh well, it is a beautiful photo!)

Views: 943

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very nice Mr Late.

Nelson Failing said:

YEAH I KNOW....LATE AGAIN....LOL....MY SHOWBIRD FLAMINGO...

LOL Mz Pat....

Pat said:

Very nice Mr Late.

Nelson Failing said:

YEAH I KNOW....LATE AGAIN....LOL....MY SHOWBIRD FLAMINGO...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Jane Miles 

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Members

© 2017   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service