Welcome to our Member Spotlight! We are delighted to present Bev Duncan from Chilliwack, Canada.

Bev is a versatile artist who creates dolls, miniatures, paintings, vases, and more! To see more of Bev's artwork, visit her gallery: http://community.art-is-fun.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?scre...

When you view her portfolio, be sure to click on the images to view them larger!

Please join us for this interview with Bev:

How would you describe your art?

The word I would use to describe my art is "diverse".

How long have you been an artist and how did you become an artist?

I've been a creative person for as long as I can remember. I guess I started using the term "artist" when I started selling my pottery back in the 80's. I became an artist because art is what makes me happy.

What is your favorite medium and why?

My favourite medium is the one I am working with on any given day. I am always trying something new. What an adventure!

Pick one work of art from your Art Colony portfolio and tell us the story behind it. Why does this piece have meaning to you?

I choose my painting "Best Friends" (shown above). This piece is 16"x20" acrylic on canvas. These two monkeys were my daughter's best friends since she was a baby. Their names are Snuggly and George. She slept with them every night until she went off to university. They got so threadbare that I had to make them pyjamas to preserve their bodies. I drew them lightly with pencil on the canvas and then used lots of layers of paint and glazes to bring them to life. This painting now hangs in my house the real monkeys still live with my daughter and her family.

Tell us about one medium, technique or style that you would like to try working with (that you have not tried before) and why you would like to try this.

I would love to try encaustic, the layering of different colours of melted wax. I enjoy watching art videos on YouTube and this technique really intrigues me. I have also always wanted to try working with glass. This actually seems like it will happen as I have met a new friend who wants me to come and play in her studio. I'm very excited.

Is there an element of making art that you enjoy the most, and why?

For me making art is like meditation. It lifts my spirit.

If you could imagine the “perfect art day” for yourself, what would it be like?

A perfect art day for me is a day when I wake up all inspired to try something new.

If you could spend 24 hours with one artist, living or historical, who would you want to spend the day with and why? What would the two of you do?

I am self taught in all the mediums I use. Although I would have loved to have had the opportunity, I have never gone to art school or taken any art lessons. Last night I discovered two artists on YouTube that were very inspirational. Their names are Carrie Schmitt and Betty Frank Krause. I want to spend the day with them getting lessons on how to loosen up and be fearless.

Do you have any tips or advice for aspiring artists?

My tip for aspiring artists is to drop the fear (something I'm still working on). There is no right or wrong way to make art. Be like a child and be prepared to make a mess. Be proud of what you create. Have fun on the journey and inspire others to do the same.

Anything else you'd like to mention that I didn't ask?

I would like to thank the Art Colony for the honour of featuring me as spotlight artist. I also want to say how much I appreciate this site. I enjoy looking at the work of all the talented artists and the positive feedback I get when I post a new photo is very much appreciated. So thank you all and keep creating.

Views: 475

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hello Leisha, thanks for the nice comments. I visited your page and enjoyed looking at all of your beautiful paintings. I especially appreciated the florals as that's what I have been working on lately. If you go to YouTube and look up encaustic you will see lots of demonstrations. I've never tried it but just watching these videos gives me inspiration for my other work.

leisha mcconnell said:
Beautifull work a Bev . Loved your gallery and your interview was so interesting and learnt about layers of wax medium never heard of it but very interstedAny more info Bev would love to hear THank you Leisha

Bev, I'm so glad to see you "spotlighted". I have just recently seen your work and love them. You are very diversified in your talents. Love the colorful things you do. You are wonderful. Congratulations!!

Hello Cathy. Wow what great compliments. Your kind words are much appreciated. br/>

Cathey E. DeRosa said:

Bev, I'm so glad to see you "spotlighted". I have just recently seen your work and love them. You are very diversified in your talents. Love the colorful things you do. You are wonderful. Congratulations!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Jane Miles 

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Members

© 2017   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service