I'm new to this and would love to try some mixed media with my watercolor.

Is their someone out there who could send me some ideas and how to's.

Thank you.

Pam N.

Views: 1128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i'm a bit over whelmed atm.. i would  love to do charcoal like your roses. what about the colour? is that watercolour too?

watercolour and pastels - soft chalk pastels, not oil pastels, are used together by many artists. in fact, it's what i am loving, at the moment. charcoal, pastels, watercolour = realism - that's my choice! some collage for atc's, or  mixed media for them. cheers from down under.

michele

If you are on facebook or want to join for just the art groups there are tons on ideas and directions on there. Lot's of different art groups and a lot of nice helpful people.  You can also do a search on YouTube and find tons.........Maggie

hi wow. i had forgotten about my previous posts!. i haven't tried conte, pastels or charcoal for ages with w/c, but i will now!

splash w/c anywhere, pamela, the more water, the more surprises, if you're game! no rules with aj or mm for that matter. i mean there are principles of art and design element thingies but really there are no mistakes in art!

shell

shell

Michael - I just wanted to pop in and say that I love your paintings.  I particularly like the outline effect you have on the first one. :)

I will take a look at your links. Always useful to know. 

Dawn Herring said:

Pam, 

I loved mixed media and I also love watercolor. I don't find a lot of artists who do both together; many of the books and blog posts I read the artist uses acrylic paints and sometimes inks. 

But I love using watercolor with other media. I think the trick for me is using watercolor in the ground, the first layer you work with. From there I add oil pastels, crayons, and even papers for a collage look. 

If you're on Twitter, you can follow me @JournalChat where I post links for art journaling, journaling, and mixed media and some of what I post is with watercolor and mixed media together. 

Hope that helps a bit. I recommend using a journal to practice and experiment in so you can determine what works and what doesn't. 

Be refreshed,

Dawn Herring

Hello,

Since I paint mostly with watercolours, I had first a big problem, when I worked with mixed media

and used matte gel over the picture.

The colours started to run again and became blurry. The solution for this problem are the 

Inktense Pencils and Blocks. They are watersoluble ink colours which are permanent when dry.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Jane Miles 

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Members

© 2017   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service