Welcome to Profile of the Week! We are delighted to present Rook from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada.

Rook creates colorfully detailed mystical art.  To see more of Rook's artwork, visit her gallery: http://community.art-is-fun.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?scre...

When you view her portfolio, be sure to click on the images to view them larger!

Please join us for this interview with Rook:

How would you describe your art?

I would describe my interpretation of things as more along the lines of mystical expression. Obviously it’s not realistic in the sense of what we see as real. I am trying to evoke a feeling within everything I draw, trying to capture the essence of the spiritual energy of a specific place, or just trying to portray how I see the world around me. It’s more of a feeling, a knowing, or inner vision, rather than an actuality.

How long have you been an artist and how did you become an artist?

I was born an artist. Actually, we are all born artists. I feel that everyone that has the ability to create something is an artist: and we are all born with that ability. Whether that be cooking, drawing, gardening, or any other activity that promotes creation and gives one a sense of purpose and peace. So yes, we are all born to create. All art forms are here to make the world a better place.

What is your favorite medium and why?

I like a lot of different mediums, but my favourite at the moment is Inktense pencils/blocks . The reason is that the richness of the colours is evident, but you can also use less to create a lighter tone. You can take it straight off the pencil/block with a wet brush, or you can use it straight on the paper to have more intense colours.

Pick one work of art from your Art Colony portfolio and tell us the story behind it. Why does this piece have meaning to you? What steps did you take to create the piece?

The Dreaming Tree (shown above) is one I have a deep connection with. I have a deep affinity for trees. My first remembered spiritual experience was beneath a tree. I have always felt a closeness to them. It’s sort of hard to explain. On a practical level, trees are a perfect example of fractals... (the smallest thing is a reflection of the bigger thing, the bigger thing is a reflection of the smaller thing)... when you look at the smallest part of a tree (the leaf) it’s a reflection of the trunk and branches.

How I create my pieces is a stepped process. First, I identify what it is that I want to do/portray. Then decide how I wish to portray it. Then I hit the paper with a light sketch of pencil. Just the basic outlines first. Once I am happy with that, I trace over the pencil with a black fineliner, wait for it to completely dry, then erase the pencil lines. It is at that time where I add the colours where I want them. Now, you have to have to be able to hold the vision you want while you do this, because basically you are colouring in something that is not there yet.

After the colour is added, I then start to draw in the patterns and lines that I want. It’s very meticulous work, but also very meditative. My “trademark” patterns are spiral patterns and flowing lines. Once I am finished with the line drawing, I then inspect the picture to make sure it has the feeling that I intended. Sometimes I will have to add a little more colour here or there to get what I want, and that is either done with the Inktense, or sometimes with Prismacolour markers.

Tell us about one medium, technique or style that you would like to try working with (that you have not tried before) and why you would like to try this.

I would really like to try working with watercolour crayons or gelatos. There is something about the intensity of the colours and ease of use you get from these mediums has my attention. I love intense colour.

Is there an element of making art that you enjoy the most, and why?

I think that the best part of making my art is that it makes other people happy. There is a sense of recognition (or something) that some people seem to get when they look at some of the things that I do. It’s like I have put on paper something that they thought only they felt or understood.

If you could imagine the “perfect art day” for yourself, what would it be like?

This is a hard question. I had to think about it! But a perfect art day for me, would be to not have to do anything other than art... no housework, no running around! And I would have access to whatever I felt I wanted/needed as far as supplies are concerned. I would have it all at my fingertips to use if I wanted. And it would all be done in my dream art studio that I WILL have one day once we start looking to purchase a house!

If you could spend 24 hours with one artist, living or historical, who would you want to spend the day with and why? What would the two of you do?

Another tough question. I can't choose just one. Leonardo da Vinci and Hildegard von Bingen would be my choices. I am sure we could all manage to get along for one whole day. Lol.

Hildegard (she was a nun in the 11th century) was a mystic. She painted her mystical visions which I would love to talk to her about. She also created her own language and wrote music. You can listen to her music on Youtube.

Leonardo because he used his skill to portray deep secrets into his paintings. He even left clues for people who would “know” when they saw the secret, what it meant. He knew a lot of underground knowledge which I would just love to pick his brains about because it’s a sideline passion of mine. I love a good mystery.

Do you have any tips or advice for aspiring artists?

Always do your art from your heart. Don't worry about rights and wrongs. There is no right or wrong if you are creating with your heart. Don’t feel despair if you get artist’s block. My remedy for myself when I get stuck in that place is to do origami folding. It taps into the creativity again. My thought on that, is that no matter how simple or complex an origami model is, they are still all perfect because they start with one square piece of paper. Just like all of us. We are all beautiful squares of paper just waiting to be folded into something unique. Find a task at these times that helps you focus, meditate, and tap into your creative energy flow. Whether that be organising your spice cupboards, reading a book, journalling, or scrubbing a floor, something that helps you spark the creative juices is important. Find what is right for you.

Views: 278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rook, Congratulations! It is a little warmer in Ontario at present :)  Enjoy your week at POTW and thank you for sharing your art and thoughts.

Just beautiful artwork, really inspiring ! Looking forward to enjoying more of your pieces :-)

Congratulations! Your art is wonderful, and I enjoyed the interview. I especially like your mushrooms they are so whimsical. Your colors are so cheerful. I can see your love for Newfoundland in your imaginative interpretations of the landscape. Enjoy your week. 

Hi Rook! Congrats, enjoy your week!  Really love your work and the interview was awesome!

Congratulations! Your work is amazingly fabulous!!

I love your work!

I have been so busy this past week! I have my own cleaning business (both commercial and domestic) which I just started a month or so ago. I find it rather amusing that I can go into a place and make it sparkle, but my house looks like an explosion happened at Michaels. HAHAH.  Add to that, that it is now camping season (YAY!! finally...).... and interspersed with a local art market, plus making things FOR the market itself, i have been a busy busy Rook lately. I wanted to let everyone know that I really, truly, deeply appreciate the fact that not only did you take the time to read my interview and look at my creations, but that you took the time to respond in such positive ways. It means a lot to me. Sorry I have been so interspersed, I am all over the place. I really wanted to just drop a note to everyone that commented and let them know that I have been taking in your comments, just havent had a minute to be able to respond in kind. Much love and gratitude. Rook xoxooxooxo

Loved reading the interview and really admire your artwork which is so beautifully precise and ornate, the subject matter is kind of primeval (not sure of the spelling of that) and feels deeply familiar, thanks, Carol x

congratulations on being potw, and mostly on your gorgeous artwork - well done!

wow. you are fantastic! i like to look at art, the art of others, also some of my own aart!. thaat inspires me. your work is lovely. inktense is a great product, yes!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Jane Miles 

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Members

© 2017   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service