Welcome to Profile of the Week! We are delighted to present Scott G. from Tuscon, AZ, USA.

Scott creates paintings and drawings of animals, insects, still lifes and more, including paintings on handsaws.  To see more of Scott's artwork, visit his gallery: http://community.art-is-fun.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?scre...

When you view his portfolio, be sure to click on the images to view them larger!

Please join us for this interview with Scott:

How would you describe your art?

I can’t. I just paint them, and hope they talk for themselves. I’ll let others do the describing.

How long have you been an artist and how did you become an artist?

I was the long-haired kid with a sketch filled notebook who couldn’t walk by an unpainted surface without leaving my mark... the rest just happened. I’ve done art and had art-related jobs my entire life. I could never imagine doing anything else.

What is your favorite medium and why?

I don’t have a favorite. I have used a whole variety and find that the medium is secondary to the art itself. I’ve been concentrating mostly on acrylics for the past three years.

Pick one work of art from your Art Colony portfolio and tell us the story behind it. Why does this piece have meaning to you?

“Lois Sensei” (shown above) is a piece I painted with a particular person in mind. My high school art teacher, who really encouraged my art. I remember her calling me grasshopper and tolerating my growing “artistic expressions”. She is a fantastic artist herself and back then, I think she really understood my thinking. She would explain an idea or assignment; I felt I could really understand what she was saying. I think she first convinced me I could actually make a living doing what I love. Thanks Lois, you’re the best!!!

Tell us about one medium, technique or style that you would like to try working with (that you have not tried before) and why you would like to try this?

I would have to say sculpting. Though I’ve dabbled with some, I really wanna try something huge. Unfortunately, I realize that if I would start a sculpting project, I would probably start tossing all my paints in closet and fill my studio with some mud. I tend to consume my projects and I’m certain I would want to devote some years into studying all that clay could offer. I still got a few paintings to finish before I drop off into something new.

Is there an element of making art that you enjoy the most, and why?

Although I love the entire process that goes into making my art, from the idea to the finished piece, I would have to say the detailing. Once I start doing the shadows and highlights, I can start to feel the painting breathe. It begins to take on its own life. From that point I just continue painting what it takes to finish the piece as it talks to me.

If you could imagine the “perfect art day” for yourself, what would it be like?

A clear vision, a plateful of home baked cookies, and the time and ability to make the vision come to life... and no interruptions.

If you could spend 24 hours with one artist, living or historical, who would you want to spend the day with and why?

I would have to say Jackson Pollock. His frustration at being innovative in an art form not readily acceptable by the public, followed by his perseverance to continue, is inspirational to me. He stayed true because he believed in and felt the art he was creating. It took awhile for the world to feel its impact.

Do you have any tips or advice for aspiring artists?

Do what you do best and don’t be afraid of failure. Base your art on you and your perceptions. There are a million tutorials and how-to books on art. Use these as merely a guideline to creating what you want. The world needs more free thinkers and less Xerox copiers.

Anything else you’d like to mention that I didn’t ask?

The art you create is yours. It is the child that starts in your brain, goes to your heart, and flows from your hands. Love it, nurture it, and defend it. I see a lot of posts from artists asking things like, what should I paint next? What do you other people think I should do now? Even asking others to name their art for them! It is your baby, what comes out of it is what you, the artist, puts into it... then it is truly all yours.

Views: 666

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations Scott, your interview was superb interview and I always say the art part of me is my inner child and it must create to exist. Your palette is always refreshing and your art lively, thought provoking, brilliant or all three! jean  

thank you.....and yes, great minds do think a like...lol

Fran Hoffpauir said:

Well, Mr. G., looks like you and I have a lot in common.  There's the interest in sculpting, for one thing.  I, too, am afraid it would take over my whole life.....and my home.  Abstract art is not my favorite, but I also like Jackson Pollock's work.  Maybe it's the sheer abandon, which is the exact opposite of what I do.

I love your exceptional work.  I love the precision and the wonderful use of color.  This was a great interview.  Enjoy your week in the limelight.

thank you.....letting go and painting what WE want as opposed to what is expected of us is very liberating indeed.

Nelson Failing said:

CONGRATS! Mr G for being POTW....enjoyed your interview and love your featured artworks...I hear you when you say we need more free thinkers rather than Xerox copiers....that's what art is all about....creating art from your imagination...this truly shows who we are as artists'...enjoy your week in the limelight!

Thanks Jean....coming from someone with your talent really holds water with me..

Jean Cormier said:

Congratulations Scott, your interview was superb interview and I always say the art part of me is my inner child and it must create to exist. Your palette is always refreshing and your art lively, thought provoking, brilliant or all three! jean  

thanks Jane...

cheekyjane said:

Many congrats Scott....lovely interview and stunning art work.....xx

those two words mean so much to me, "original and inspirational"..........thank you very much

Vincenzina Baumann said:

Congrats!  Scott your art is outstanding...original and inspirational....loved your interview!

cool....I always thought of the rich part, Never wanted the famous part though...lol.  Thank you!!
Bette-Jane Schnabel said:

Congratulationg on being our POTW. This means you are now rich and famous! :) Love your art, Scott and your interview is wonderful. You are one very talented artist!! Cheers!!

Congrats Scott; I enjoyed reading your interview, your art is amazing. I believe that every artist arts is a reflection of their inner character and imagination. And yours is fantastic; enjoy your week of POTW. 

enjoyed the peek into your mind. and artistic process. 

love the art!! the crow and the grasshopper is a cool self portrait. Though I was thinking it might get eaten. lol

do you just do art for a living? that is cool and great. I would love to do that. How did you start off that way. 

hehe..thanks Doris. Yes, I gotta paint to eat. Not sure how it started and not real anxious to see how it will end....lol
Doris Culverhouse said:

enjoyed the peek into your mind. and artistic process. 

love the art!! the crow and the grasshopper is a cool self portrait. Though I was thinking it might get eaten. lol

do you just do art for a living? that is cool and great. I would love to do that. How did you start off that way. 

Congratulations Scott! What a great interview! I love your art it's interesting, beautiful and fun.

Congratulations! Great interview and I love your pieces! You are gifted!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Jane Miles 

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Members

© 2017   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service