Our next “In the Style of” artist will be Paul Cezanne. Coming from the time that Impressionism(capturing the impression of a brief moment in time) was still very popular, Cezanne developed his own style using color to show the form and structure, esp. in nature, that he believed Impressionism lacked. He thought that the painter should “treat nature in terms of the cylinder, and the sphere, and the cone” in simple and natural forms but not as just pure geometric forms. In many of his still-lifes he would paint objects in layers of a single hue to achieve the appearance of fullness. Other paintings would often have distortions or natural forms that might be rearranged in a way that wouldn’t be noticed unless the painting was of a person. This was to deemphasize the subject matter and to help organize his picture plane. His style would later influence artists like Matisse and Picasso so much, that he is today often called the father of modern art.

His early years were reminiscent of van Gogh in that his works were consistently ridiculed and rejected- maybe because of their dark and macabre nature. He eventually withdrew from his art friends and worked in isolation, not exhibiting art for about 20 years. Toward the end of his life however he slowly began to gain some popularity when other popular artists of the time-Monet, Pissarro and Renoir-began pushing art dealers to show his work again. By this time, he was also using more vibrant colors and less of the darker moody hues he used earlier.

****He was also known to throw away paintings he was not happy with or even give them to his son to cut up and use for puzzles. Sure wish I had one of those!!!!

Create 2 regulation size atcs each for two partners(total 4 atcs) based on the style of Paul Cezanne. Sign up deadline is January 20, 2017  Partners will be posted Jan 22 and Atcs should be mailed by Feb 24, 2017

http://www.biography.com/people/paul-czanne-9542036#works-of-the-1860s

http://www.paul-cezanne.org/

1. Sharon - Stacy, Elaine
  2. Elaine - Bonnie, Stacy
  3. Bonnie -Elaine, Sharon
  4. Stacy - Sharon, Bonnie

Views: 170

Replies to This Discussion

I checked my mail yesterday and found two envelops with art cards. 

These are the lovely cards I received from Sharon . Just beautiful.

These are the beauties from Bonnie  _ love them too 

I am just getting mine in the mail to you Bonnie and Stacy  today. Hope they do not take too long to get there. 

Hi Stacy and everyone. These are my wonderful Cezannes. Beautifully done Stacy !! Loving the colo and texture of this lovely green pear and the great contrast of colors against the grey wall. Really enjoying these artist swaps ! Who"s up next? Thank you the extra goodies and note.

Thanks! That was so fun!

Stacy Woolsey said:

These are beautiful Bonnie!!!

Beautiful work Stacy Sharon and Bonniie_

Bonnie and Stacy _ Hope you soon receive yours from me _ I mailed them over a week ago so hopefully they will  soon arrive _ Have a wonderful weekend everyone 

My BEAUTIFUL Cezannes from Elaine! Thank you so much!!! Love them!

All of you really nailed it! Beautiful art work, ladies. (As always!)

Gorgeous !! Elaine !!

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Jane Miles 

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Members

© 2017   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service