Hi , this is an 8x10pastel of my grandson Max 8 yrs old . I love to do pastel portraits and everyone tells me I am good ...BUT my daughter never likes any I do ...So I really want to practice and learn how to improve my likeness of my subjects . This is a redo already . I will post the first one I did  then the reference and then the one I just redid ..any helpful advice is wanted ..I have a need to improve , want am I doing wrong                  

Views: 58

Replies to This Discussion

You did a nice job Brenda!  People portraits are tough to do because those who love them can be very critical...simply because they aren't seeing the little details that they recognize.  You are very close, but the proportions are just a bit off I think.... eyes are a bit too large/open, needs a tad wider smile and a bit less chin, a bit more highlight in certain places and deeper shadows in others...   Just "minor tweaks" and only adding a little more work on it and I think you will both be happier.  Don't forget to turn them upside down or look at it in a mirror, it tricks your brain and makes it easier to see what needs to be done.  I really like this a lot!  

I overlaid your drawing in red over the ref pic in blk&wh.  There really are only a couple of places that need a bit of tweaking.  I think that deepening values will make a big difference.

Pris , thanks for your trouble that was really thoughtful of you to help in this way . I wish I knew how to do that . It WAS still hard to wrap my head around it though I wasn't sure what lines were to correct LOL . I did make the white highlight line on the chin less . , the little edge where his jaw and neck meet on his left side ( our right )Put the lights more on the nose and ears and neck to shirt .Didn't understand the white marks on the mouth or over the eyes ...But I did my best for this one ...Ready to practice on another ....I know part of my problem is the references are not good for details . I cropped this out from a picture with three other kids and the features were  pretty blurry ...The next one is of my niece on my husband side ( she is a woman now maybe 45-46 yrs old ) and the same goes in this one really bad reference ( blurry just were I need it to be clear the most .) Picture was sent to me on my phone ,she was with her boyfriend and I cropped him out didn't want to mess with them together . And the one fast her is my hairdresser , got that off her Facebook LOL  ...Then I have one of my granddaughter ready as well that is better reference cause it is not cropped , but still I'm worried we shaw see LOL..Ok then thanks again and look forward to more advice  
Pris Hardy said:

You did a nice job Brenda!  People portraits are tough to do because those who love them can be very critical...simply because they aren't seeing the little details that they recognize.  You are very close, but the proportions are just a bit off I think.... eyes are a bit too large/open, needs a tad wider smile and a bit less chin, a bit more highlight in certain places and deeper shadows in others...   Just "minor tweaks" and only adding a little more work on it and I think you will both be happier.  Don't forget to turn them upside down or look at it in a mirror, it tricks your brain and makes it easier to see what needs to be done.  I really like this a lot!  

Yes, it is a bit hard to tell on some of it, I should have mentioned that the more see-through lines are the artwork...sorry about that.  Good luck with your future portraits =]  The more you practice, the more you learn and the more your skills will improve! - Pris

I hope so .:D I started one yesterday . I am  going to do ones after the other till I get sick of them for a while LOL. I will post the wip in group for wips ..not sure if I am aloud to put it here .Thanks for the friend invite you beat me to it :D

Pris Hardy said:

Yes, it is a bit hard to tell on some of it, I should have mentioned that the more see-through lines are the artwork...sorry about that.  Good luck with your future portraits =]  The more you practice, the more you learn and the more your skills will improve! - Pris

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Jane Miles 

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Members

© 2017   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service