I have 30 acrylic paintings to carry to a local show on 9/18. I've never had to transport that many paintings. The smallest is 11x14 and largest 16x20. There's an art festival 9/12 too, so I'd like a reusable (inexpensive) solution. Any advice?

Views: 134

Replies to This Discussion

What kind of vehicle do you have?
I have a mazda hatchback. The backseats fold down.

I've carried my paintings in a large, heavy duty box with handle slots (kind of like a wardrobe box, but not as tall). All the smaller paintings I've placed in a plastic tub with a lid. Each painting is facing another or is separated with poster board to keep them protected. Be sure and search for a "what to bring" list...I keep adding to mine every time I go. Good luck!

Thanks Merrie! Where do you get such a box?

I have had a lot of the same questions about "showing" your art. I was asked to do a craft fair but I'm not sure how to display my art.  I have prints, canvases, cards & framed pieces. Also, not sure how to price my work. Is there a forum about this that I have missed? I have put my prints in plastic page protector sleeves. 

U-Haul Rentals sell boxes of all sizes. 

I have a large black zippered portfolio case from college days that works well for transport. 

Good luck Judy Lynn!  Let us know how it goes. I'm sure you will do terrific!

Thanks Judie! I bowed out of the festival on the 12th but I still have the art show on the 18th. For display purposes my friend is making a card rack out of foam board. (You can by card racks from Blick and others. I purchased some card sleeves from BagsUnlimitted.) He is also making a "V" that will hold paintings at an angle so people can flip through them. We are waiting to hear if we can hang on the walls. As a punt I have a room divider screen with 3 parts, wood frame and bamboo center. (Others recommend pegboard.) I tested it and the 3M strips will stick to the screen and the back of the paintings. The largest I can hang is 11x14. I'm not sure if I will have enough room to use both sides. I have collapsible easel and music stand. Each will hold two 12x16 paintings. I'll let you know how it goes and post a pic of my setup. Please share you experience too.

I'm not sure how to price either. I think I need to factor in my potential buyers. I found this site: http://www.artpricecalculator.com

I've used plastic totes with lids and put pieces of cardboard or foamcore/foamboard between framed items.  I know someone who sews "pillowcase type bags" to slip over each piece. or you could use larger pieces of a soft, thick fabric or batting or even cut up an old blanket.

Judy Lynn said:

Thanks Judie! I bowed out of the festival on the 12th but I still have the art show on the 18th. For display purposes my friend is making a card rack out of foam board. (You can by card racks from Blick and others. I purchased some card sleeves from BagsUnlimitted.) He is also making a "V" that will hold paintings at an angle so people can flip through them. We are waiting to hear if we can hang on the walls. As a punt I have a room divider screen with 3 parts, wood frame and bamboo center. (Others recommend pegboard.) I tested it and the 3M strips will stick to the screen and the back of the paintings. The largest I can hang is 11x14. I'm not sure if I will have enough room to use both sides. I have collapsible easel and music stand. Each will hold two 12x16 paintings. I'll let you know how it goes and post a pic of my setup. Please share you experience too.

I'm not sure how to price either. I think I need to factor in my potential buyers. I found this site: http://www.artpricecalculator.com

Thank you, Judy! I will check into Blick; they just mailed me a catalog.  Interesting on the www.artpricecalculator.com that the suggested price was so much higher than I would ever price my own work.  That's the toughest thing to do isn't it?! 

I think I will keep my eyes posted on Craig's List for a room divider--that's a great suggestion!  Wish I was handy in building things! lol Do you frame your artwork and use mats?

Our local Fed Ex office has a great digital color printer and they make my prints on nice 60 pound paper that has a nice quality to it.  They can print them into almost any size I have asked for.

I have made a couple catalogs with small 3 ring binders from Walmart with  plastic sheet protectors and have put my original greeting cards in them show and take orders from.  I keep the prints made up in a nice heavy cardboard Photo Box that I have recovered with artwork.

I'll look for your posts! :)

Let's keep in touch! 

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Jane Miles 

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Members

© 2017   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service