This is a commissioned portrait I just finished of the entertainer, Zakk Wylde...
It was painted/airbrushed on a 12" x 16" canvas.
I used Createx Wicked acrylics and Createx Illustration paints

Rough Sketch on the canvas

Masked off and the background was airbrushed

Defining the base color tones for the painting

Final color tones and detailed face and beard

Detail of the beard

I used a knife point to scratch in the lighter details

The scratch marks were then tinted with a thin wash

The face highlights were done using an electric eraser

Every hair was under painted, scratched and then tinted - it took quite awhile.

The end result

It was a complex painting to do and, due to the relatively small canvas, quite a challenge to complete.

The new owner loves it and that's all that matters in the end.

Cheers - Dallas

Views: 607

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love it!  I long to do skin tones like this!

Thank you, Vanessa... The secret is the type of paint I use...
I always paint, using Createx Wicked acrylics. They are the finest and most intense pigments around.
One of the Wicked colors is Detail Driscoll tone, which is a flesh color...

Createx also offer a set of colors for creating skin tones...
Here are a couple of links that will help you....

http://www.createxcolors.com/PDFs/Steve%20Driscoll_Eastwood%20How-T...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r547muVBezA

Note: These acrylics can also be applied using traditional paint brushes.

Cheers
Dallas

Vanessa Pace said:

I love it!  I long to do skin tones like this!

Thank you for the tips!  I have started a portrait, I have the background done, but I'm scared I will mess up with the skin tones.  I'm going to check out some of these paints.  Sometimes I think  I am color blind.....Love your work!

Hi Dallas! That's great info,but we don't have that brand in SA.the acrylic with the strongest pigment (in the artist range) that we do have is Maimeri and Golden. Golden is just very expensive on our side, so I haven't used it yet.If you have used Golden acrylics could you give me some feedback on them? I don't want to spend money on something that doesn't work. (PS...I am much more familiar with oils than acrylics)

Hi Elmarie.... It's a shame that Createx is not available in South Africa.. They are available from the USA online, but they would possibly be expensive to ship to SA.
I did do a search for the availability of Createx in SA and found this web site:

http://www.wantitall.co.za/createx/All/p1

This Createx Wicked starter kit was listed on there for R 2,552.00

Fortunately, we have a distributor here in Australia... only one, but he carries the full range of Createx.

I have never tried the Golden acrylics, but I understand that they are quite good.

There is quite a difference between using oils and acrylics. I used to paint with oils, but the slow drying time frustrated me a bit. Plus the toxic fumes of the thinners bothered me as well.
Acrylics are water based and are more akin to watercolors or gouache. They dry quickly and have virtually no smell. They ones I use are thinned using a Createx reducer liquid... I never use water to thin them.

If you use brushes rather an airbrush, the other alternative to use is tube acrylics. The trick here is to buy the correct type.
The two types are Student and Artist quality
These are the differences between the two:

Student Quality

• Less paint coverage
  • More affordable price range
  • Greater colour shift
  • Good for large scale painting and under-painting

Artist quality

• Highest pigment levels
  • Varied price range
  • Widest choice of colour
  • Limited colour shift

A lot of oil painters use Student quality acrylics to do their primary under painting. 

Note: You can paint with oils over dried acrylics, but not with acrylics over oils.

Over the years, I have tried just about every type of art medium I could buy.... The thing I was to learn from all this,was, never buy cheap art supplies.... be it paints, brushes, canvases or color pencils.... buy the best, to do your best.

I hope this has been of some help...
Cheers
Dallas

Elmarie Smit said:

Hi Dallas! That's great info,but we don't have that brand in SA.the acrylic with the strongest pigment (in the artist range) that we do have is Maimeri and Golden. Golden is just very expensive on our side, so I haven't used it yet.If you have used Golden acrylics could you give me some feedback on them? I don't want to spend money on something that doesn't work. (PS...I am much more familiar with oils than acrylics)

Hi Dallas! Yes it has been very helpful. I have been working with oils from scratch and it still remains my favourite. I think I may be slightly addicted to turps! ;-) The only thing I am actually struggling with when it comes to colour mixing in acrylics is flesh tones! I am used to mixing specific colours in oils that work for me and oddly enough, most of them work with watercolours as well, but somehow, I just can't find the right mix in acrylics. Every time I mix my flesh tones in acrylics it comes out wrong...or not quite right...or just that teeny bit "flat" when it's dry. I'm fine with acrylics in a still life paintings, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it with flesh tones.

Oh, and I absolutely agree about not buying cheap art products. So far, the best I have found in SA is Maimeri. Both their student and artist series are very good (and although it comes from Italy it is still more affordable thant W&N), but I still don't get those flesh tones right with the acrylics.

The intermediate steps and the final result is masterful!

Wow.  What type of paint did you use?  Oil, Acrylic?  Wonderful details, thanks for showing the steps you took in the work.

Beautiful work Dallas!!

Amazing detail. Thanks for the step by step!

incredible

Thank you,Ernst

Ernst Grillhiesl said:

The intermediate steps and the final result is masterful!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service