When you paint something black ie a dog, how many of you use differrent colours to get you black rather than a black pencil or pastel?.

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I definitely use different colours when painting to create black,  red and green make a great black for example and lots of other mixes depending on what colours i have used in my painting, and a small brush is great for adding in black detailling. Unless of course I am creating an artwork with coloured pencils then I  use a black pencil. Does that answer your question? All the best

I just had to use black in my acrylic painting and the same applications would apply to watercolour.   In using black, it is said that you get a more effective black by mixing your colours for this.  If you do use black out of a tube, there is ivory black  which is brownish and there is mars black, which is bluish.

The black that I mix is a combination of Ultramarine blue and Burnt umber. 

Other combinations are:  Prussian blue  and Burnt umber  and Burnt Sienna  

Ultramarine blue  and Alizarin crimson  and Burnt umber  And there are other colour combos too.

I think, where possible,  for colour harmony,  use at least one of the colours that you are already using in your painting as part of your mix for black.   Just my thoughts...

Thankyou so much for you input, I use pastels and was using too much black from the pan, instead of mixing, so now I'm trying to be more inventive

I use cad red and ultramarine blue then add cad yellow to make my black. I will take note of the other combinations stated here and give them a go. Thanks guys. I use ivory black when only a tad is needed in a painting.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service