Hi All
I had a few people ask me (on Facebook) about the actual size of the painting.
So, I had my photo taken next to it to give some idea.

The painting now has an official title - "Looking out for Goodall" as a tribute to Dr Jane Goodall and her wonderful animal welfare work.

Cheers

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is awesome. How do you get such fine looking hair/fur details? Mine always look like twigs or stumps.

Hi Sharon...thank you...

I spent quite some time working out the best method for me to use to paint fur/hair. A fairly simple layering method, that would look convincing.

I came up with this....

Try it and see if it works for you....

Cheers

Sharon Howard said:

This is awesome. How do you get such fine looking hair/fur details? Mine always look like twigs or stumps.

Dallas wow, this is awsome work. And thanks for the great tip on doing fur. How long did it take you to finish this from begining to  end?

Thanks so much for the fur tips. I thought white was the go to color for the highlights. Yours looks much better. 

Hi Sandi..
The whole painting, from sketch to completion, took a little over 60 hours.
Rendering the fur/hair was a multi-layered process...
Each hair was done, one at a time, and there were about six layers of varying color applied.  So it was a long process.
The hair probably took twelve hours or so to do. However, it was not done in one sitting. I applied the initial layer to establish the hairline and then continued to reader the face details. As the painting evolved, I added more depth to the hair.
In the final "sharpening up" of the painting, all the highlighting details were added.

In a painting like this, you have to calculate exactly what is needed and, most importantly, when to apply it.

I hope that all made sense...
Cheers - Dallas

Sandi Vince said:

Dallas wow, this is awsome work. And thanks for the great tip on doing fur. How long did it take you to finish this from begining to  end?

You do incredible work, I must say!    You may have mentioned before, but is it oil, or acrylic?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2018   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service