Are there many out there early 70's who are fearful of others being critical of being in the arts?

Hi everyone, I am Jan and 70yrs.old, Yeah!  I am an insecure doing my painting and drawing?  I love art and have since I was able to pick up a crayon and make marks on a piece of paper.  My Mother inspired me just by being my encouraging on the sidelines.

Please feel free to comment on my work.  I give so much away and now I am down to only a few pieces.  I have been a caretaker for the passed 6 years and there was no time to be creative and when I did have time I was exhausted. 

I am ready to get back in the "Paint Tubes"

Jan

Views: 1101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jan,

I am new and your comments about your dad touched me as well. I am 59, and have recently found out my biological father was a French Canadian Indian. It's been a 20 year search to find out the whole story let alone find out where my father came from in Canada. But my stepfather now in failing health and very old raised me very lovingly, but was very closed and opinionated to say the least. Just breaking open the past discoveries about my biological father has been the best thing I could have ever hoped for. Not only am I able to return to my artistic roots, but am begininng to paint & create again. I have also been able to bond closer with my stepfather and soon want to give him a wonderful birthday celebration this year for his 83rd birthday. You have touched me with your post on art colony. 

Thanks,

Kathy Winemiller

Jan Heck said:

we raised our children to be good to women and as adults they make their own choices no matter what you taught them. I had a very strong minded Dad and it took many years for him to say how sorry he was and asked me to do some drawings for him. He was very proud of them and hung them where everyone could see them.i have a wonderful husband of 51years and he made me be independent and always encouraged my endeavors in art. I am so happy to be a part of this group.
Judy Schaffer Firneno said:

I too am now 70! OMG!  When did that happen!  Anyway, I have painted and drawn and created all my life, but have been very insecure about it and did it for my own enjoyment.  My relatives have all my Art.   They like it!    But to get back to your statement of women in their 70's being insecure about their talents.   That's' simple.  That's the way we were raised.  A sign of the times .....  However, todays girls don't stand for that.  They feel free to get as good as they want to be in all areas of their lives.   I encourage them and use them as an example here in my later years.  I just found this site today and am really going to use it to it's full potential.   Can't wait to get started!

So true Denise, you said it all. It goes with the territory, we are our own worst critic. It's okay to give yourself permission to do your art, YOU DESERVE IT AND MORE. I am so thankful that I have discovered everyone here on Art Colony what wonderful people you all are. 

My 2 cents for the day.

I am so glad you said that Diane, as that is what I say to myself was it a fluke?......  whatever! I have found a new love, painting, it has given me something so important, could even say a spiritual feeling of wellbeing......I had an accident which turned my life upside down , but because of this I discoverd I could draw and now paint, what a wonderful discovery.....God works in mysterious ways.

Maddie France.

hi all, as someone who could never produce precisely what was asked of me artistically, my goal when I took a drawing class was just that. as a young person, the teacher would ask for one thing, i'd do something else. the teacher would be happy, but i'd wonder why my stuff didn't look like everyone else's. so I initially sat out to simply produce what was in front of me.  I have no training, and i took every thing i did as a "fluke". my first acrylic was bob marley. he evolved over time and though he's totally twisted, he's one of my favs. doing him freestyle gave me the confidence to do more.  the ladies in that class gave me the push to continue and to discover, just recently that i can do art. i don't care anymore that everything i start to do turns into something else. i like doing portraits and people. for the most part, the folks who turn up are a surprise. i like that and enjoy the process. i love every second i spend on every piece. they may be flukes, but their mine. being on tac let's me know that my issues are shared...jan started quite a thought provoking discussion.

I remember taking a folk art class yrs ago, some students were saying mine is different
That yours or hers, when using same materials, teacher said if their where only two students or
If I have 10 , not one is same, similar, but not identical and that.s how it should be

Two or ten we all see something different whether it.s folk art or a landscape or whatever
Cloning is ok if want everything the same take a photo, otherwise let yor mind and hands do the painting

the take a photo part, sums it all up...lol

DIANNE PEARCE said:

I remember taking a folk art class yrs ago, some students were saying mine is different
That yours or hers, when using same materials, teacher said if their where only two students or
If I have 10 , not one is same, similar, but not identical and that.s how it should be

Two or ten we all see something different whether it.s folk art or a landscape or whatever
Cloning is ok if want everything the same take a photo, otherwise let yor mind and hands do the painting

hello jan, dee, mary…i feel great because of your comments.

firstly, well done jan. you are incredible. i love what you do!

and dee, mary and others too. (sorry i can't remember all your names). i'm 56 and i have just started doing art. i spent my life , so far, bringing up children (50% strike rate), teaching (30% strike rate, waitressing (10% strike rate).

now i draw, paint. it feels good. and nobody cares what i do, really. too sick to do anything else so it's a blesssing that i found it. i thank the art colony and you lovely people.

how old are you again jan? 70-something? so inspirational. i want to be able to please myself. and i do. i'm doing it. now. finally. i can rest! trying not to think. it's easy, when all i need to worry about is if i can blend pale geranium lake with dark carmine!

I am 66 1/2. Started my art about 8 years ago. Love designing mandalas, but I still have the feel of not good enough. Agree with Judy, we were raised to be apologetic, meek, etc.
I get many compliments but have a hard time believing them. I need to move on and realize I have a talent that is appreciated . It is hard! Mmh
Hi Mary Margaret. Love your name. It is so romantic... My advise is post often and use the critique foram also . They have helped me a lot when I have been stumped. We ares all artists and there is not a right way to do it. It comes from your heart. You are the only one who needs to love it. But you will always be much better Than you think you are! Lots of luck and love. Judy
Thank you, Judy. Love that you think my name is romantic! I was really stumped and uninspired recently. Kept thinking about it and praying about it. One day a voice came out of the blue and said " Do what you do". I felt God was telling me to do my art and not try to be something I am not!

What a joyful, freeing experience that is.  We can not be what we are not.  We will never be happy if we we try.  Relax and go with it.   Many hugs, Judy

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service