Are there many out there early 70's who are fearful of others being critical of being in the arts?

Hi everyone, I am Jan and 70yrs.old, Yeah!  I am an insecure doing my painting and drawing?  I love art and have since I was able to pick up a crayon and make marks on a piece of paper.  My Mother inspired me just by being my encouraging on the sidelines.

Please feel free to comment on my work.  I give so much away and now I am down to only a few pieces.  I have been a caretaker for the passed 6 years and there was no time to be creative and when I did have time I was exhausted. 

I am ready to get back in the "Paint Tubes"

Jan

Views: 1099

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mary,
Who knows maybe we will shine by the Tim we are 90. I love art. I was one of five children Dad worked hard but we didn't have money for frivolous. things but Mother always saw to it we had crayons,pencils and paper oh and jigsaw puzzles. We colored everything we could. Sounds as if you have it together but you are right that negative voice pops in every time you think you are doing something good. The Art Colony has been so good for me and I am meeting so many nice people from all over the world. Once I get my portfolio built bacteria up I think I will begin showing some on Facebook. There are some very very talented Artist out there.
Jan, I saw mandala design exhibit at library 8 years ago. I came home and took a plate and traced it on paper, took crayons and started designing. I have progressed a lot since then. But I still have that hesitation. It is hard, but we have to realize our art is special, it is lovely, it is ours. We are happy and proud of what we do!!

I will soon be 78 and have been dabbling in art/pencil/charvcoal/water color and now acrylics, which I really love.  I have taken various local classes and everyone is so encouraging.  So just have a go and enjoy

The past five years have involved life happenings and I came across The Art Colony and what a turnaround for me. Ian challenged aand happy being apart of TAC. Happy painting
Yes,...isn't it grand to have this lovely hobby in our " senior" years??? Never thought I would see the day...never been artistic. But here I am!!!! And you are, too!!!!
I don't like the idea of doing nothing and my husband is my biggest supporter so are my kids and grandkids all 7. Life is so busy with my family and friends so art has taken the back seat and it's time to slow down and draw and paint right! Do you have family?

Mary Margaret Hickman said:
Yes,...isn't it grand to have this lovely hobby in our " senior" years??? Never thought I would see the day...never been artistic. But here I am!!!! And you are, too!!!!
Yes, three children and 4 almost 5 grandchildren. They take a lot of time which is delightful
I have learned to be in the moment..sometimes grands take precedence over art. I love the time I have to sneak in some quiet time for art. I do not get as much done as I feel I need, but time with children and grands is more important .
My children all live out of state and I. O as often as possible and stay for na few weeks with them. I have three children of mine and one step-son. We leave in Oct for Fla and stop and isit with one daughter and we have two in .fla. bout they come inbetween that time. Family is always first for us . We had two great-granddaughters born this year. And so much fun having babies around again.
I love to paint with oils and my artist cousin is going to help me learn to use acrylics this winter. Right now I am sharpening my drawing skills. Nneed to get an electric eraser they work great.

Mary Margaret Hickman said:
Yes, three children and 4 almost 5 grandchildren. They take a lot of time which is delightful
I have learned to be in the moment..sometimes grands take precedence over art. I love the time I have to sneak in some quiet time for art. I do not get as much done as I feel I need, but time with children and grands is more important .

I too am now 70! OMG!  When did that happen!  Anyway, I have painted and drawn and created all my life, but have been very insecure about it and did it for my own enjoyment.  My relatives have all my Art.   They like it!    But to get back to your statement of women in their 70's being insecure about their talents.   That's' simple.  That's the way we were raised.  A sign of the times .....  However, todays girls don't stand for that.  They feel free to get as good as they want to be in all areas of their lives.   I encourage them and use them as an example here in my later years.  I just found this site today and am really going to use it to it's full potential.   Can't wait to get started!

You are right, Judy....a lot of our insecurities have to do with how we were raised. How I raised two independent strong women,,I do not know!!! Maybe I rebelled and said they will NOT be raised like me!!!!

I was lucky Mary.   I raised 2 sons.   I taught them how to "not treat women".    And their wives appreciate the fact the my boys let them "have their space" and encourage them to go for whatever they want. 

I raised a son, too, who is independent and strong. It is like I did it all opposite from my upbringing!!! Too funny!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service