Hi guys.........I have not been on here much lately because of this Dreaded Artist Block I am suffering at the moment...but with a little hope, I may be inspired to try and get back into drawing after taking a look at the Gallery today....I see some awesome art ......and I must admit we have some fabulously awesome artists on this site.......thank you all for being here.

Question is..........When you get Artist Block........How do you pull yourself out of it and what's the longest time you have had it for?

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jane,

I had artist's block for 9 months one time. It was the longest time ever for me. I didn't paint a single thing. I had been doing oil paintings for many years and even sold many of them, and I think I just got burned out and was doing too much at the time. I lost interest and didn't think I'd ever do art again. I loved art though and felt like I wanted to continue doing art in some way. So someone mentioned to me about trying another medium and so instead of oil paintings, I tried colored pencil and then also graphite and now all I am doing is soft pastels/pastel pencils. I've only been using pastels for almost a year. I love them more than any other medium I've tried and don't want to use anything else. I can do one quicker than an oil painting and it's just more fun and relaxing to me. So the thing that got me out of painter's block was to try something new. I learned other mediums and it kept my interest fresh and I wanted to learn more. When you stop learning, you stop growing in your art. I think it's then that we can become bored and lose interest. Think about trying something new and learn all you can about it. There's lots of online info and youtube videos you can watch to help you out, and then set out and have some fun. If you enjoy it, you'll stick with it, so it's important that you're having fun with your art. If I can help you in any way or you have some questions, feel free to ask! Take care now...Mary

Awww...thank you Mary........it's such a bummer......I know I will start again and hope it's not too long........hugz....xx

Mary Rogers said:

Hi Jane,

I had artist's block for 9 months one time. It was the longest time ever for me. I didn't paint a single thing. I had been doing oil paintings for many years and even sold many of them, and I think I just got burned out and was doing too much at the time. I lost interest and didn't think I'd ever do art again. I loved art though and felt like I wanted to continue doing art in some way. So someone mentioned to me about trying another medium and so instead of oil paintings, I tried colored pencil and then also graphite and now all I am doing is soft pastels/pastel pencils. I've only been using pastels for almost a year. I love them more than any other medium I've tried and don't want to use anything else. I can do one quicker than an oil painting and it's just more fun and relaxing to me. So the thing that got me out of painter's block was to try something new. I learned other mediums and it kept my interest fresh and I wanted to learn more. When you stop learning, you stop growing in your art. I think it's then that we can become bored and lose interest. Think about trying something new and learn all you can about it. There's lots of online info and youtube videos you can watch to help you out, and then set out and have some fun. If you enjoy it, you'll stick with it, so it's important that you're having fun with your art. If I can help you in any way or you have some questions, feel free to ask! Take care now...Mary

Not sure if it's artist's block but getting to the easel is a struggle quite often for me. Once I'm there I love it and I can't leave but for me the thought process goes something like this:

I can paint like Rembrandt, let's go! > hmm, that doesn't look like a Rembrandt, I have to keep learning > I don't want to keep learning, I want to be there now > I don't feel like painting now, I'll come back later > but if I don't finish something worthwhile I'll feel like I failed > ok then, stop whining and paint!! 

I procrastinate, maybe because I don't want to produce a sub par painting. Fear of failure, fear of success, laziness, other things to do. Sometimes my painting, which is basically life to me, even seems unimportant compared to other things that might be going on.

The 2 secrets for me are: 

1. I need to be prepared when I start. I need to know what I'm working on, and how to work on it. I'm no good at just winging it. 

2. If I'm really not going to paint something, I do something simple related to painting like trying to mix a colour, cleaning my palette, watching someone paint on a dvd etc, anything as long as it keeps me interested.

Well I feel better now, good question Jane, thanks and good luck! I'm off to paint now..or watch a movie...

Glen.......thank you......we all have our own ways of dealing with it........I just need to get myself back in to drawing....I'm sure it will come and hoping it won't be too long...lol......xx

Glen Billett said:

Not sure if it's artist's block but getting to the easel is a struggle quite often for me. Once I'm there I love it and I can't leave but for me the thought process goes something like this:

I can paint like Rembrandt, let's go! > hmm, that doesn't look like a Rembrandt, I have to keep learning > I don't want to keep learning, I want to be there now > I don't feel like painting now, I'll come back later > but if I don't finish something worthwhile I'll feel like I failed > ok then, stop whining and paint!! 

I procrastinate, maybe because I don't want to produce a sub par painting. Fear of failure, fear of success, laziness, other things to do. Sometimes my painting, which is basically life to me, even seems unimportant compared to other things that might be going on.

1. I need to be prepared when I start. I need to know what I'm working on, and how to work on it. I'm no good at just winging it. 

2. If I'm really not going to paint something, I do something simple related to painting like trying to mix a colour, cleaning my palette, watching someone paint on a dvd etc, anything as long as it keeps me interested.

Well I feel better now, good question Jane, thanks and good luck! I'm off to paint now..or watch a movie...

Hi Glen, I like what you said about your thought processes. All so very true! And we don't always hit a home run when we get up to bat! Sometimes we even strike out! Well, it's all a learning process and there certainly are any number of things that get in the way of our doing art. Life itself has a way of crowding it out and other things take priority over doing art. By the way, did you watch that movie or paint?? lol.

Glen Billett said:

Err, movie..

I've had artist's block anywhere from a few weeks to over a year. I've never figured out how to overcome it. It just seems one day the urge hits and  I can't control myself and I have to go draw or paint.  Right now it has been almost a year since I've done anything but life has really gotten in the way. I have been able to enjoy my grand's painting and drawing though, and she makes me smile with the things she draws or paints. Sometimes autism has a beautiful side =)

Sometimes I really wish I could put Real Life on hold......just jump into my Art and forget about the world........but life just does not allow it.......there is always something that needs doing and then you get this dreaded Art Block which just delays every art thought in my head.......grrrrr.........I can't even bring myself to do some digital Art either.......so frustrating........xx

I do hope that you overcome it Jane , I know how frustrated  Nelson was getting during the time he felt he couldn't  produce any work and just when he's started  again he's  got a problem with his eyesight.

I'm  afraid I'm  not a lot of help on painters block ,  as I haven't been painting that long  3 years now.   the longest I've gone without painting is about 5 days . On the 5th day I sat down and chucked paint at a canvas, the first two canvases ended up put to one side and had tha paint scraped off them. On  the third one I liked the painting.

Now whenever I go out I carry a small art kit and When i stop somewhere instead of getting my mobile out I get my pad out and pen and start scribbling what I see going on around me, .

most of the scribbles go straight in the bin but some get a bit of paint slapped on them. They're  just for a bit of fun but they do get me to look at and see my surroundings  here's my bag and art kit

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2018   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service