I am needing to get new paint brushes. I paint with acrylics, but was wondering if anyone can recommend a good set to get? Synthetic preferably :) Thanks in advance..

Views: 118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Andrea.  Try posting on the Art Supplies group.

Hi Andrea....I know that you could spend a ton of money on brushes (I know I could).  I am no expert on brushes but I was advised by my art instructor to purchase brushes that were middle of the road in price and that's what I did.  I even went as far as staying on the cheaper side of that road :).  I used to buy the brushes in packs (good way to go at first) but now I buy one at a time at my local craft store.  If you take good care of your brushes, they can last a while.  Also,  I did buy a set that came in a roll up case (light beige) and I seem to use those a lot.  I am running on and on...I guess what I'm saying is don't go super cheap (a variety pack for 3.99) and don't go broke (80.00for a small round) on brushes.   Wow...I hope that helps!

Oh that does help, and thank you so much for your advise! :) I didn't want to go super cheap or high end either, so in the middle it is! :P Just wasn't sure on what brands to use.

Erin Bailey said:

Hi Andrea....I know that you could spend a ton of money on brushes (I know I could).  I am no expert on brushes but I was advised by my art instructor to purchase brushes that were middle of the road in price and that's what I did.  I even went as far as staying on the cheaper side of that road :).  I used to buy the brushes in packs (good way to go at first) but now I buy one at a time at my local craft store.  If you take good care of your brushes, they can last a while.  Also,  I did buy a set that came in a roll up case (light beige) and I seem to use those a lot.  I am running on and on...I guess what I'm saying is don't go super cheap (a variety pack for 3.99) and don't go broke (80.00for a small round) on brushes.   Wow...I hope that helps!

I will try that also, thank you :)

Judy Schaffer Firneno said:

Hi Andrea.  Try posting on the Art Supplies group.

synthetic brushes are the way to go with acrylic. natural hair brushes soak up water and get out of shape after a while. they will dry back to normal though. acrylic paint is hard on brushes so don't spend a ton of money on them.

after that, it depends on how you paint with acrylics. soft brushes for watercolor type effects, but you might like a springier brush for impasto type painting. i just keep adding a few i think i might like as i see them on sale... and soon you'll have too many lol! :o)

Thank you lol,

Michael Beckett said:

synthetic brushes are the way to go with acrylic. natural hair brushes soak up water and get out of shape after a while. they will dry back to normal though. acrylic paint is hard on brushes so don't spend a ton of money on them.

after that, it depends on how you paint with acrylics. soft brushes for watercolor type effects, but you might like a springier brush for impasto type painting. i just keep adding a few i think i might like as i see them on sale... and soon you'll have too many lol! :o)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service