I'n new to Media Art and my first project was with paper. My background is card making and scrapbookking - paper fanatic! I learned using distress paint and modge podge. What are the best products to use? I do the love the end result of my first product and when I figure out how to put it on here I will.  Thank you all in advance. 

Views: 210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Shelly, I am also a crafter and an artist, (well beginner artist anyway), and I'm from a card making background too. Welcome to our cool little group. There is nothing wrong with using whatever products you have laying around to use in your art. Distress paints are awesome, I mean anything by Tim Holtz is made of awesome, but its just acrylic paint, it just has that cool foam end on it. You really don't need to go out and buy extra acrylic paint just for art unless you want to, if so try something like liquitex or mont marte. A lot of mixed media artists use mod podge, its such a great versatile product, I use it on my mixed media artworks, then I give them a finishing spray of clear gloss varnish (I used Crystal Kote) just to help protect it from UV rays. I look forward to seeing your artwork. I admit taking good shots or scans of your work is a challenge (something I am still struggling with I might add) especially when its mixed media. Then all you need to do is just go to "my page" and click add artwork, if you have any problems there are lots of amazing people here ready to help. All the best

Hey Shelley, as a fellow paper fanatic, I forgot to mention that I got an email from Darkroom door this week about their annual mystery box, I don't know whether you've used any DDoor before but I love them, they have two current deals one is a $30 box with $100 worth of products (no stamps) or a $50 box with $150 worth of products including stamps (plus post of course), and the boxes include a large range of stuff that you could use in your art as well as your crafts. I just thought I would quickly mention it since you were asking about art products, and they sell both. Their mystery boxes are meant to include a lot of viva decor products, which I am dying to try, I splurged and ordered both boxes since they were filled with different things. I honestly don't think you need to spend out big on stuff you can't afford, but I really love a bargain and this deal was just too good to refuse. The website if you are interested is www.darkroomdoor.com  under specials, but no pressure just passing on info if you are interested. All the best, can't wait to see your mixed media artwork.

Jess

Thank you so much for the information! I truly love a bargain! I will check it out.

Shelly

So - Jess - how were those boxes?  Was it stuff you can really use? ~~sounds neat!

Jess said:

Hey Shelley, as a fellow paper fanatic, I forgot to mention that I got an email from Darkroom door this week about their annual mystery box, I don't know whether you've used any DDoor before but I love them, they have two current deals one is a $30 box with $100 worth of products (no stamps) or a $50 box with $150 worth of products including stamps (plus post of course), and the boxes include a large range of stuff that you could use in your art as well as your crafts. I just thought I would quickly mention it since you were asking about art products, and they sell both. Their mystery boxes are meant to include a lot of viva decor products, which I am dying to try, I splurged and ordered both boxes since they were filled with different things. I honestly don't think you need to spend out big on stuff you can't afford, but I really love a bargain and this deal was just too good to refuse. The website if you are interested is www.darkroomdoor.com  under specials, but no pressure just passing on info if you are interested. All the best, can't wait to see your mixed media artwork.

Hi Linda, yes it was awesome, the kindly sent me different colours and varieties in in both boxes, basically a lot of darkroom door photo chips, montages, film strips and alphas (cardboard photos in different sizes and styles which I will use in my crafts), and it was full of viva decor products such as glitter dimensional paste, crackle paste (in different colours), precious metals (in different colours), pearl pens, and metal tins to store your stamps in. I loved it, the more expensive box also had stamps (about the quantity of 2 whole stamp sets but a mixed variety of styles, you have to trim them and stick on the cling foam but its still great value and they are very good quality). It was great value for either 30 or 50 dollars, the $50 dollar box as I said had stamps but also had more viva products in it, so for example you got two pots of crackle paste instead of one. Postage is not included in the price though so if you live far away it may not be such a great offer, I only live about an hour from the DDoor factory, so post was around $12 for the big box. I don't know if they still have any mystery boxes left but its worth taking a look at their website, the usually do them just before christmas every year so even if you missed out this year, try next year, and if you go on their free mailing list, you will be notified of all their upcoming specials. I haven't had time to play with everything yet, just the crackle paste and I was surprised at the amazing quality of it, apparently viva decor products were designed for interior decorators. Anyway loved everything in my boxes. All the best

Thanks for the info, Jess.  but isn't it the truth~~~we get all these amazing products but can't find the time to try them out.  That happens to me all the time.  I will definitely sign up for their mailings.  :-)s ~~linda

Jess said:

Hi Linda, yes it was awesome, the kindly sent me different colours and varieties in in both boxes, basically a lot of darkroom door photo chips, montages, film strips and alphas (cardboard photos in different sizes and styles which I will use in my crafts), and it was full of viva decor products such as glitter dimensional paste, crackle paste (in different colours), precious metals (in different colours), pearl pens, and metal tins to store your stamps in. I loved it, the more expensive box also had stamps (about the quantity of 2 whole stamp sets but a mixed variety of styles, you have to trim them and stick on the cling foam but its still great value and they are very good quality). It was great value for either 30 or 50 dollars, the $50 dollar box as I said had stamps but also had more viva products in it, so for example you got two pots of crackle paste instead of one. Postage is not included in the price though so if you live far away it may not be such a great offer, I only live about an hour from the DDoor factory, so post was around $12 for the big box. I don't know if they still have any mystery boxes left but its worth taking a look at their website, the usually do them just before christmas every year so even if you missed out this year, try next year, and if you go on their free mailing list, you will be notified of all their upcoming specials. I haven't had time to play with everything yet, just the crackle paste and I was surprised at the amazing quality of it, apparently viva decor products were designed for interior decorators. Anyway loved everything in my boxes. All the best

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2020   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service