I have been searching for how to create the dripping effect on a canvas, but can't seem to find anything that works! I've tried using a flow-aide, but it never turns out how others do it. The paint always turns very watery paint, and doesn't look right. I'm just looking to be able to drip paint onto a canvas with a semi-watery consistency, but maintain the same color.
I appreciate any help and advice!

Views: 2222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

okay so there are a few ways to do this , if you want the paint to be glossy, raised, and still llook wet you can use, golden clear tar gel,  liquitex string gel or liquitex pouring medium. If I want the paint to be a matte finish then I use the cheap craft paint like craftsmart  the only problem with using only craft paint is that it sometimes cracks when it dries.

happy painting I hope this helped

Liz

Thank you Elizabeth! I will definitely have to try your suggestions. I bought liquitex flow-aide, it says it's a fluid additive, I read reviews, and it's suppose to create that dripping effect. But doesn't, so now Im not sure how to use it. Have you heard of this before?

yes the flow aid  is used for reducing brush strokes and making blending easier

I use DecoArt Americana "craft paint" and have never had any trouble with cracking. 

The only time I've ever had any cracking was when I poured a lot of paint down, in my painting of the guitar I had a lot of cracks in the neon paint it was craftsmart brand though .They make pouring medium especially for this but at the time I had never heard about it.

yes that's true Paulette I've used my blow dryer too to direct the paint too. I totally forgot about that method

I have used rubbing alcohol over the wet paint and blow with a straw and had the effect.

how do you apply the rubbing alcohol?  I’ve tried blowing with a straw and get some interesting (read odd) effects - but fun to do.

Toshi Sanglir said:

I have used rubbing alcohol over the wet paint and blow with a straw and had the effect.

Bobbi, I spray alcohol over the wet paint I want to drip. Yes, straws do give some interesting (crazy) results.

Wow some interesting information........ I will have to make notes......to try all the techniques.

I will definitely try this out, it sounds very interesting. Never thought about this.

Toshi Sanglir said:

I love Golden's Fluid acrylics for dripping

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service