Let's start a list of our favorite films about artists and art!

Here are some films about artists and art that I can recommend.  I've included the link to imdb so you can check it out more if you want...

Feature films that are essentially artist biographies:

1. Frida - starring Selma Hayek as Frida Kahlo, the Mexican painter. Released in 2002.
  2. Surviving Picasso - starring Anthony Hopkins as Pablo Picasso. Released in 1996.
  3. Pollock - starring Ed Harris as Jackson Pollock. Released in 2000.
  4. Basquiat - starring Jeffrey Wright as Jean Michel Basquiat. Released in 1996.
  5. My Left Foot - starring Daniel Day Lewis as Christy Brown, a man born with cerebral palsy who paints with his left foot.  Lewis won an Academy Award for this role. Released in 1989.
  6. Lust for Life - starring Kirk Douglas as Vincent van Gogh and Anthony Quinn as Paul Gaugin. Released in 1956.

Beautiful documentaries:

1. Rivers & Tides - about the work of Andy Goldsworthy, who makes art from nature. A peaceful, beautiful documentary. Released in 2001.
  2. Cave of Forgotten Dreams - 3-D documentary about the oldest known cave art, in southern France. Directed by Werner Herzog. Released in 2010.

Also worth mentioning:

1. Art School Confidential - quirky film about art school and the contemporary art world. John Malkovich plays a role as an art professor. Made in 2006.

Do you have any others to share?  What are your favorite films/documentaries about artists and art?

Views: 227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Grace - These sound like great additions to our list of films about artists and art - thank you for suggesting them!

I have a copy of Between the Folds but haven't watched it yet - I look forward to it, especially after hearing your opinion of it!

I haven't seen the Paul Klee one but I love his work, so I might keep an eye out for it.

I like the film about the Dutch Artist Jan Vermeer.  Its called ' The Girl with a Pearl Earing'  with Colin Firth.

Yes, it´s beautiful movie, Rob, i love it!

I know only one movie about artist. About Thomas Kinkade, my favorite painter. It´s called "Christmas cottage". I like it. this movie is about his beginnings and people, who inspired him, for example, his teacher of art. I love so much one sentence from thist movie- "I wont teach you, how you paint- I´ll teach you why..." :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service