Free downloads, inspirational movies and books about artists

Dear fellow artists,

Hope all of you are enjoying your summer and that every day brings about something fresh and new that you may want to use for your next creative endeavour.  I just have a few items I wish to share with all of you in the case it may help you as they have helped me with my new journey as an artist.  First on my recommendation list is a foreign movie that I watched that really touched my soul.  It's based on a true story and the title is, "Seraphine."  If you don't mind watching a movie with subtitles then I highly recommend viewing this movie.  Seraphine was discovered by an art dealer around the same time Picasso and Rosseau were big news in the world of art.  She was a housekeeper living in abject poverty but with such a passion to paint that she would gather her own materials to create her own colours (for example: pig's blood from the butcher). Seraphine said her inspiration came from God and that it was He that gave her instruction as to what and how to paint her art. If you want to view a preview of this movie just Google -  Seraphine movie trailer youtube.

I have been struggling with watercolours but, like the medium so much that I continue to search for ways to learn and grow in this area.  While searching on the internet for free lessons on watercolour I accidently found a free download on watercolour painting.  It's wonderful and I highly recommend Bob Davies free ebook on watercolour secrets.  For this free download please go to: http://www.watercoloursecrets.com/ebook.html

Another way in which I find inspiration is to read about artists of the past and how they overcame criticism and struggles with finances as they tried to carve a living out of their artwork.  Books that I have read and highly recommend are the books:  "Growing Pains," written by Emily Carr and "Matisse the life," written by Hilary Spurling.

Warmest regards to you all ...

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi,  I spend alot of time looking at art books.  If you are intrested in Art History I highly recomend

The Story of Art by E.H Gombrich.

And

Art and Visual Perception-a psychology of the creative eye by Rudolph Arnheim - Great for understanding the psychology of art and the creative way one's eye organises visual material 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service