Hello my fellow art journal addicts ;)  

I don't know if this is 'common knowledge' or not, but I have just discovered a treasure trove for art journal/altered book/junk journal, etc supplies.

FREE samples!

I have been in the UK for a little over a year - and have had a lot of difficulty finding supplies for my artistic endeavors - just because I am not familiar with the brands, companies, etc that are available here.  I've also just delved into the altered book and art journal world for the first time in years and was struggling to find good papers, tags, etc for those...until someone mentioned free samples!  

So I went on a search...there are SO many wallpaper and decorator companies online that you can order free samples of their wallpapers from, they are usually A4 size sheets (approx 8x10) and YOU choose the designs you want as samples!  For FREE - most companies offer between 2 and 8 free samples, and some companies will even let you order fabric samples for free, and paint colour booklets (make perfect ATC bases).  I also delved into 'other' free samples by typing in 'free paper samples' and that came up with a large selection of printers who are just gushing to send out samples of their kinds of papers, business cards, post cards, greeting cards - the list goes on!  

Maybe this is - as I said "common knowledge" - but just in case there is someone like me out there, who covets all those fabulous textures, graphics, colours, the like for their art journal, or really any artsy project - start searching for free wallpaper samples!  

Love and Glitter,

~Alisa

xx

Views: 8608

Replies to This Discussion

WOW - this is something that I need to pursue, for sure.  thanks, Alisa!

linda

You're welcome!  I'm glad that someone else can benefit from it...I've been ordering like mad lol - so many different kinds of wallpapers available...some will try to charge for postage, but what i've found with the more expensive, and exclusive designs is that they will give you the samples AND the shipping for free.  ;)

Awesome! I wasn't aware of this either. I am going to hunt these samples down. My Dear Darling Hubby will be soooo pleased.....more art supplies in an already too cramped house. Oh well, at least these are FREE!!

That was my 'excuse' with my hubby lol...'but honey - it's free!' lol.  Also if you go into decorator the stores and ask them about the out of date books of samples, many times you can get a WHOLE BOOK of free upholstery, fabric or wallpapers because they just throw those away.  Also - if you ever want to get into mosaic/tile work - most tile companies also have out of date, overstock from custom jobs, or broken/chipped tiles that they throw away and are more than willing to give away for free.  I got more than I could store in my flat from one of these visits....made coasters, trivets, decorative tiles with some art adhered to them, and mosaic stuff out of them.  I've also gotten 'recycle' paper from local offices that is already shredded and ready to make paper clay/paper mache out of (and homemade cat litter lol).  I've talked to local charities and get to go through their 'trash' piles before disposal and get all kinds of cards, books, clothing, linens, etc etc - again - for free or so cheap it's nearly 'free'.  I call this 'urban foraging' lol.  

http://www.pinterest.com/billiesmith32/free-samples-for-crafting/

Here's a Pinterest link that a lady has gathered a bunch of companies that give out free samples...many are in the UK, but some are international and US - I just ordered FREE paint samples - among the many fabrics and wallpaper samples I found as well.  :)

Thanks  What some great ideas.  I would have never thought to go on line for supplies.  I am on SS so funds are short.  I know I have looked in the Salvation Army store and Goodwill without any luck.  I do have two wallpaper books, somewhere, that i paid $5 for because they were discontinued.  Can't get them here anymore. Guess they got the idea of using them themselves or saving them for someone.  If I still lived in IL  it would be better.  I think they keep everything here until it rots or their workers are cleaning up. They don't usually have much of anything where IL had lots.....Maggie

Maggie - 

I went through a similar discovery when I moved from Missouri - with a plethora of art/craft supplies at a great price - to a mountain town in Colorado - where there weren't many choices outside of the town except internet for like 8 months out of the year.  Try asking the salvation army and goodwill if you can go through their 'throw away' piles.  Have people you know save cereal boxes, flyers, left over house paints, etc. I found a couple of companies online that sent me FREE pots of sample paints in a plethora of colours..I get 5 of them.  Many other art supplies and especially high end decorating suppliers and companies (Laura Ashley) give away free perks for 'potential clients' because the product itself is so expensive, but very high quality - makes perfect supply for the 'creative budget' - for me it brings a lot of satisfaction to find something that WAS trash, and make it something of value - but free or nearly so...I've come up with my best, and enjoyed it the most, when I had very little to spend on my art - it pushes the muse lol.  

Also - if you sew - many of those decorating companies also send out free fabric samples...I'm not sure how big they are as yet i've not received any....but I'd say they are at least big enough for tags, tab tops, and maybe even some pockets or 'mini quilting' pages for art journals, to hold supplies or as a doorway flap when you do an inclusion in a big book, etc.  

I also wanted to share what I received in the mail today - I posted this discussion yesterday, after having ordered these samples earlier in the day!  I got them the NEXT day!  Happy Days !

List of Abundance:

16 A4 (approx 8x10) sized pieces of high quality wallpaper samples of varying designs that I got to pick out myself.  I'll get a picture of them later to show you the various designs, and what can be done with them inside an art journal as a part of collage and hand made signatures, etc.  

280 - 1.75 in x 1 in paint chip samples of a plethora of colours, nice gloss and matt finishes, will make perfect tags, mini collage components for journal, and inchies ATC trading cards ;)  

20 - business cards in varying finishes from high gloss to matt and all very thick...with company graphics on them but easily covered with collage, markers, paint, gesso, fabric, wallpaper, etc.  use as ATCs, tags, pockets, tabs, mini books, etc.

1 6x6 greeting card gloss and very sturdy cardstock paper....great painted or collaged upon or cut up for inclusions

2 heavy duty post card sized card stock pieces, again, blank canvases

book of graphics of rooms decorated and people, scenes in funky colours, etc for collage art

a nice sturdy bookmark, will make 2x tags, or twinchies, etc

4 large high quality plain white envelopes with nice company graphics and easily covered with included stickers that are blank

2 5x7 similar quality envelopes as above.

ALL for FREE...!!

Will post pictures and post more resources and items  received in the mail as I get them...I have a slew of fabric samples, lace, ribbon, blinds, etc coming this week, and more wallpaper samples lol.  

Gadzooks!!~~amazing.  Would it be appropriate or possible for you to include actual websites?  I know that's a lot of trouble, so maybe just a few~~~I am particularly grinning at the business cards.  What website for that, if you would be willing?  ~~and the ones for card stock.  (I do sew but for now, the fabric doesn't ring my bell, as I am on a "paper/art" kick!)

~~whatever you have time for, seriously, Alisa!

No problems!  I am in the UK, so my search is for companies that ship there...but I do often run across links for US & Canada only shipping...so I'll just put links in here as I find them.  That pinterest link a bit up in the comments has about half and half uk and us sites - but those are mostly fabric - many have wallpaper sites too.  I'm pretty good at digging so I'll update this as I find some ;)  Always glad to share the wealth - for me the best part of the creation process is the creativity of the whole process...supplies, seeing the world from a different perspective and finding 'alternative' canvases ;) 

Some Business Card/cardstock/flyers, etc free sample sites...have not checked them out to see if they charge postage or not - I only filled out ones I could get for free. 

http://us.moo.com/about/paper.html 

http://www.printingforless.com/Printing-Samples-Request.html    (email or call for samples)

http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/scrapbooking-paper-crafts/87046... (a link to a website that contains a HUGE list of links to free sample paper products ;)  Jackpot link right here! )

http://www.thepapermillstore.com/product-resources/paper-samples-an...

http://www.youthedesigner.com/2007/12/05/10-free-printing-samples/ (another link to a list of links - pretty sure most of these are in the US)

WALLPAPER SAMPLE SITES:

http://www.wallpaperdirect.com/us/  ( 2 free)

http://us.farrow-ball.com/#1 (5 free samples and free colour card sample too)

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/content/support/services/wallpaper_sampl... (4 free)

http://www.lauraashley.com/ordering/page/ordering (Laura Ashley samples up to 8! - gotta call or use contact form for them though)

There's some to get started ;)

Thanks.  That is a lot.........Maggie

That is amazing.  Thanks for sharing.   I will get busy with these.  I so need something to do besides the computer which isn't working right anyway and drives me up the wall....Maggie

Alisa Manning said:

Maggie - 

I went through a similar discovery when I moved from Missouri - with a plethora of art/craft supplies at a great price - to a mountain town in Colorado - where there weren't many choices outside of the town except internet for like 8 months out of the year.  Try asking the salvation army and goodwill if you can go through their 'throw away' piles.  Have people you know save cereal boxes, flyers, left over house paints, etc. I found a couple of companies online that sent me FREE pots of sample paints in a plethora of colours..I get 5 of them.  Many other art supplies and especially high end decorating suppliers and companies (Laura Ashley) give away free perks for 'potential clients' because the product itself is so expensive, but very high quality - makes perfect supply for the 'creative budget' - for me it brings a lot of satisfaction to find something that WAS trash, and make it something of value - but free or nearly so...I've come up with my best, and enjoyed it the most, when I had very little to spend on my art - it pushes the muse lol.  

Also - if you sew - many of those decorating companies also send out free fabric samples...I'm not sure how big they are as yet i've not received any....but I'd say they are at least big enough for tags, tab tops, and maybe even some pockets or 'mini quilting' pages for art journals, to hold supplies or as a doorway flap when you do an inclusion in a big book, etc.  

I also wanted to share what I received in the mail today - I posted this discussion yesterday, after having ordered these samples earlier in the day!  I got them the NEXT day!  Happy Days !

List of Abundance:

16 A4 (approx 8x10) sized pieces of high quality wallpaper samples of varying designs that I got to pick out myself.  I'll get a picture of them later to show you the various designs, and what can be done with them inside an art journal as a part of collage and hand made signatures, etc.  

280 - 1.75 in x 1 in paint chip samples of a plethora of colours, nice gloss and matt finishes, will make perfect tags, mini collage components for journal, and inchies ATC trading cards ;)  

20 - business cards in varying finishes from high gloss to matt and all very thick...with company graphics on them but easily covered with collage, markers, paint, gesso, fabric, wallpaper, etc.  use as ATCs, tags, pockets, tabs, mini books, etc.

1 6x6 greeting card gloss and very sturdy cardstock paper....great painted or collaged upon or cut up for inclusions

2 heavy duty post card sized card stock pieces, again, blank canvases

book of graphics of rooms decorated and people, scenes in funky colours, etc for collage art

a nice sturdy bookmark, will make 2x tags, or twinchies, etc

4 large high quality plain white envelopes with nice company graphics and easily covered with included stickers that are blank

2 5x7 similar quality envelopes as above.

ALL for FREE...!!

Will post pictures and post more resources and items  received in the mail as I get them...I have a slew of fabric samples, lace, ribbon, blinds, etc coming this week, and more wallpaper samples lol.  

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service