Hi guys... I was playing with making mandala awhile.. and i'm having a problem with symmetry... i tried using photoshop but it seems to not work for me coz the last piece wont fit.. anyone who can help me out?

here's a photo of what i made:

Views: 753

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Maria,

I don't know of any software that can help, but one thing you could try is drawing a slice of the mandala on polar graph paper - that way you'll know that the dimensions are correct. Here is a link to a free online polar graph paper generator:

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/polar/

If you use the polar graph paper as a guide and draw a design on one "slice" of the graph, then it should fit together when you replicate the pieces and put them together in Photoshop (so long as you are careful to stay within the dimensions).

Hope this helps. Good luck with it!

thank you this is awesome!!!

Thaneeya McArdle said:

Hi Maria,

I don't know of any software that can help, but one thing you could try is drawing a slice of the mandala on polar graph paper - that way you'll know that the dimensions are correct. Here is a link to a free online polar graph paper generator:

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/polar/

If you use the polar graph paper as a guide and draw a design on one "slice" of the graph, then it should fit together when you replicate the pieces and put them together in Photoshop (so long as you are careful to stay within the dimensions).

Hope this helps. Good luck with it!

Maria, I use polar graphs to setup my mandalas too. As I'm a chiropractor I have an X-ray view box I use as a light box. I place polar graph paper under my paper and then put fine pencil dots wherever the graph lines intersect, this gives the symmetry from which to build the design. Hope this is helpful. Have you joined the mandala swap?

Jo Flockton said:

Maria, I use polar graphs to setup my mandalas too. As I'm a chiropractor I have an X-ray view box I use as a light box. I place polar graph paper under my paper and then put fine pencil dots wherever the graph lines intersect, this gives the symmetry from which to build the design. Hope this is helpful. Have you joined the mandala swap?

Hi Maria, I have done a few mandalas, and I used a math/geometry set, usually have compass, protractor, triangles, set sqs,ruler in the sets,   with compass can make circular markings etc usuall plastic so can see thru them

Hi Maria,

I never use digital helps when making mandala's, like it more to draw by hand and I don't mind if it is not perfectly symmetric, I think it is part of the charm doing it by hand. Owwww, this sound so old-fashioned....ouch!

Anyway, what I do mostly, is to draw a grit using a compass to make about 5 circles, on which I try to vary in distance between the circles , if that makes any sense. Afterwards I use a ruler and protractor to divide those in equal parts. Have to remind myself to take a picture of it next time... Anyway, I do this very lightly, so I am able to stuff it out after finishing the mandala using a black fineliner.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service