So i ordered some fosted medium from Blicks and recieved it today along with a new catalog (IM SUCH A SUCKER FOR CATALOGS).

So im confused on oils. What do they mean when they have "CL AND PROP 65" and some have 'PROP 65 ONLY". I took a look at the Wisor/Newtons i have and they all say 65 on them but i guess i just never paid attention to it.

Also they have a soft gel medium, regular gel medium, light molding paste and high solid gel medium. I see the pictures of the different effects but how are they used? Do you mix them in with your acrylic paint to get those different textures?(can you mix them with oils?) this is my thought on them.

soft gel medium...little thicker than regular paint but a soft texture

regular medium gel...kind of gives the effect of using a pallet knife

the other two i have no idea but i love what i see in the picture.

Its like Christmas. I got the catalog and of course ooohhhhing and aaahhhhing and hubby said " just do what you do with the grandchildren... mark off on each page what you would like to have for Christmas.....WHY IS CHRISTMAS SO FAR AWAY....lol

Sorry to sound so silly on these questions and im sure its easy as pie but i just dont get it. :)

Views: 345

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

CL and Prop 65 refer to toxicity levels and industry labeling regulations. On the back page of Blick's catalogs, you'll find a detailed description.

As for the mediums, yes, you mix them with acrylic paints, and can use different mediums together (for example, a soft gel gloss medium and opaque flakes to get a glossy, "flake" texture). Mediums can also be applied separately from paint--beneath or on top of color. The bottles usually provide instructions for best results. I use Liquitex and Golden brand mediums and their websites are very good resources for more detailed directions, tips, etc.

I don't think you can mix acrylic mediums with oil paints; those have their own mediums.

Thank you so much. I do have Blicks new catalog but it doesnt have the descriptions on there. Ill go thru it again...going to anyways. its my wish book!! LOL

On the cl and prop 65, is one better than the other? 

I think i will purchase the mediums and just play with them to see what i like. They had pictures but i really couldnt get a good idea. Is there a reason you prefer Liquitex or Golden? Im so new at all this any suggestions come in handy.

I had to order paints to go with my frosted and irridesent medium, Blicks suggested not to mix them with other paints. So i am waiting on those and will start in on some frosted wine glasses. Ive always used enamel paints on my glasses, i truely did not know there was such a paint as "glass paint". seems so obvious huh?? I cant wait to try them.

You dont happen to know of a really good tutorial or youtube on using the mediums do you?

Christina

Jeannie said:

CL and Prop 65 refer to toxicity levels and industry labeling regulations. On the back page of Blick's catalogs, you'll find a detailed description.

As for the mediums, yes, you mix them with acrylic paints, and can use different mediums together (for example, a soft gel gloss medium and opaque flakes to get a glossy, "flake" texture). Mediums can also be applied separately from paint--beneath or on top of color. The bottles usually provide instructions for best results. I use Liquitex and Golden brand mediums and their websites are very good resources for more detailed directions, tips, etc.

I don't think you can mix acrylic mediums with oil paints; those have their own mediums.

And Christina, if you want to create your impasto effects with pigment added to the acrylic gels (instead of creating your effects with gel then painting) you need quite a small amount of pigment to create the colours you need. I think in most cases I have used gel to pigment in a 10:1 ratio. You CAN use more, but not too much because you'll lose some of your impasto effect.

wow, thanks girls!!! I just today got my glass paints in the mail. After i play with these new paints i plan on ordering the mediums. OOOHHHH

Ruth, i love it when you add pics. LOL. Okay just to get this straight. I mix the medium with the paint (10:1 ratio) to get my desired color and effect, correct?

Yep. If your colour isn't intense enough, add a bit more of the paint.

Now for a Pasto look (had to look it up i didnt know what that meant, remember im VERY new) i would probably get the High solid gel medium? but if i want just a little dimension i would probably go with the medium gel, correct?

Depends on what effect you are seeking. You can get a mild impasto effect even with heavy body acrylic paints if you pile on enough. For really strong effects, that's where you need the gels. For example, if you wish to create very erect peaks, you may need the super-heavy or solid gels. Go to the website for whichever brand of gel you're buying and see if they have a chart showing the viscosity of each gel. Here's the link for Golden's gels.

http://www.goldenpaints.com/products/medsadds/gels/gels.php

Read until you find the gel that corresponds with what you want to do with it.

I got the Viterea 160 glass paints and the liners. I havent tried them yet but i do know ive gotten bubbles using enamel paints and sometimes you might have water in your brush or just air. Ive never had bubbles after i baked the glass. 

Ill let you know on these glass paints next week. Like i said i have the grandaughters this weekend so ill need to wait. Having an 18month old doesnt allow for much "art" time. Plus i i switch my studio to a playroom/bedroom for the girls when they are here. Then switch everything back to my "studio" when they leave.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service