How did you feel the first time someone called you an artist?

For many of us, being an artist is something we have been exploring with a mix of excitement and fear. What if I have no real talent? What if what I make looks awful? What if people think I'm too big headed because I want to be an artist? Stepping into this art making world is an act of bravery. Showing our art to others takes a tremendous amount of courage and faith. How did you get here? What is your becoming an artist story? What have you done to continue to follow your creative heart?

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi friends.  I have always had a nack for painting, on my mothers side there was lots of family who were great painters.  But I really didn't get into to it.  When I lived in Venezuela, I became a producer for spots for the tv.  I had to get the talent, sets, dresses, etc.  This was a wonderful experience as my artistic inclination, showed up with the sets I created.  One day I saw the movie Bucket List. and vammmm, I decided no more procastrination, I started to paint.  Sometimes I feel overwhelmed when I see the art that our members post, but as I have that feeling it also boosts my desire to get better every time.  I think that the Art Colony is a great support for beginners like me. Especially when you can view in big the piece and see how you'all have done the painting.  Today I just only think of getting home from work and sit down and do my stuff. I painted the baby that is in my page, and the lady I did the painting for, called me an artist. I was in heaven for the rest of the day, my dream come true. I loved it.   
Thank you so much for sharing this heart-felt story Destry. I want you to know that I can feel intimidated by the talent and skill of the wonderful artists I know, including those on The Art Colony site. This seems very normal to me. And like you I redirect this feeling towards boosting my motivation for finding time to create. I look for invcermental improvement in my work. THis helps keep me focused and sane! I love your baby painting, and that your client called you an artist! Fantastic accomplishment. Imagine what is waiting for you to discover?!
I ve been painting for about 5 years now, but still find it hard to refer to myself as an artist.  I have never shown my work in public only to friends and family.  I think its a confidence thing but this site is helping me with that. Thanks
I was an art teacher for many years. I loved to demonstrate for my classes. Some of my students would say, "You must be an artist." I would say art is in you. You awaken the creativity in you. Regardless of the level of ability, your art is beautiful.
What a wonderful way to invite your students in to the world of creative expression Jeff!
I was an art teacher for many years. I loved to demonstrate for my classes. Some of my students would say, "You must be an artist." I would say art is in you. You awaken the creativity in you. Regardless of the level of ability, your art is beautiful.

You are clearly willing to give yourself time to develop your skills as a painter Rob. I believe that seeing yourself as an artist happens in little bits and pieces along the way. I know that exploring the wealth of materials on The Art Colony will only help with this!
Rob Crompton said:
I ve been painting for about 5 years now, but still find it hard to refer to myself as an artist.  I have never shown my work in public only to friends and family.  I think its a confidence thing but this site is helping me with that. Thanks

Thank you, its a really great site.  The town I live in doesn't really have an art scence so its good to get feedback from other artists and be part of an Art community. 

I agree Rob. I really love how much we can do in this online arts community. I love that it's an international community, that it's available 24/7, that there are learning and sharing opportunities...that it's free! How cool is this?!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service