The challenge this week is Mandalas. The pictures shown here are a sample of free, printable Colouring pages from Print Mandala, to see more go to http://www.printmandala.com/ for mandala samples/Colouring pages

For this challenge, you could use an existing mandala colouring page and colour/finish "In Your Style", or, you could create your own mandala. For direction on creating a mandala there's Thaneeya's tutorial on drawing your own mandala here, http://www.art-is-fun.com/how-to-draw-a-mandala/ or there's this great video, http://youtu.be/BJ3r23ywkEo

Thaneeya also has some free, printable mandalas here, http://www.art-is-fun.com/free-mandala-designs-to-print/

The following is an excerpt from Wikipedia on Mandalas, covering their Hindu and Buddhist origins, their use in Christianity, and their current day use in Western culture.

Mandala (Sanskrit: मण्डल Maṇḍala, 'circle') is a spiritual and ritual symbol in Hinduism and Buddhism, representing the Universe. The basic form of most mandalas is a square with four gates containing a circle with a center point. Each gate is in the general shape of a T. Mandalas often exhibit radial balance.

In various spiritual traditions, mandalas may be employed for focusing attention of practitioners and adepts, as a spiritual guidance tool, for establishing a sacred space, and as an aid to meditation and trance induction.

In common use, mandala has become a generic term for any diagram, chart or geometric pattern that represents the cosmos metaphysically or symbolically; a microcosm of the universe.

Forms which are evocative of mandalas are prevalent in Christianity: the celtic cross; the rosary; the halo; the aureole; oculi; the Crown of Thorns; rose windows; the Rosy Cross; and the dromenon on the floor of Chartres Cathedral.

Similarly, many of the Illuminations of Hildegard von Bingen can be used as mandalas, as well as many of the images of esoteric Christianity, as in Christian Hermeticism, Christian Alchemy, and Rosicrucianism.

According to art therapist and mental health counselor Susanne F. Fincher, we owe the re-introduction of mandalas into modern Western thought to Carl Jung, the Swiss psychoanalyst. In his pioneering exploration of the unconscious through his own art making, Jung observed the motif of the circle spontaneously appearing. The circle drawings reflected his inner state at that moment. Familiarity with the philosophical writings of India prompted Jung to adopt the word "mandala" to describe these circle drawings he and his patients made. In his autobiography, Jung wrote:

"I sketched every morning in a notebook a small circular drawing,...which seemed to correspond to my inner situation at the time....Only gradually did I discover what the mandala really is:...the Self, the wholeness of the personality, which if all goes well is harmonious."
—Carl Jung, Memories, Dreams, Reflections, pp. 195 – 196.

Jung recognized that the urge to make mandalas emerges during moments of intense personal growth. Their appearance indicates a profound re-balancing process is underway in the psyche. The result of the process is a more complex and better integrated personality.

"The mandala serves a conservative purpose—namely, to restore a previously existing order. But it also serves the creative purpose of giving expression and form to something that does not yet exist, something new and unique…. The process is that of the ascending spiral, which grows upward while simultaneously returning again and again to the same point."
—Jungian analyst Marie-Louise von Franz, C. G. Jung: "Man and His Symbols," p. 225

Creating mandalas helps stabilize, integrate, and re-order inner life.

According to the psychologist David Fontana, its symbolic nature can help one "to access progressively deeper levels of the unconscious, ultimately assisting the meditator to experience a mystical sense of oneness with the ultimate unity from which the cosmos in all its manifold forms arises."

We would like you to use the reference/inspiration photos to create a piece "In Your Style".

This challenge is open to all artists, whatever your medium.

Please post your finished artwork in this discussion thread. We're looking forward to seeing the diversity in art created by one reference/inspiration photo!

Views: 1841

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love doing these! Here is mine in brown and sepia.

I checked here to see the challenge, because I haven't participated in one for awhile. It's a shame that it's another one that I don't feel comfortable participating in due to my Christian faith.

Hi Sheila, All the challenges are always open you can post to any of them.  The link is below Sheila. The last few were fun, palm trees, shark, hippie bus.

http://community.art-is-fun.com/forum/categories/style-challenge/li...

Sheila Dunn said:

I checked here to see the challenge, because I haven't participated in one for awhile. It's a shame that it's another one that I don't feel comfortable participating in due to my Christian faith.

Oh, ok. I will take a look. I've been busy getting ready for my art show that starts on Monday, but I really miss participating in the challenges.

I love making mandalas. It's a wonderful path to meditation.

Barbara, add to this discussion using the Reply to a Discussion box below this.

Barbara Erickson said:

how did you get tis on the site. I have out mine on and they aren't here

In the "Reply to Discussion" box is where you post your pictures on that page. On top of the "Reply to Discussion" box you will see the word "link", next to it is a little box which says "image", click on it and then you can add your image.

Barbara Erickson said:

how did you get tis on the site. I have out mine on and they aren't here

Nice Sharon!

sharon oppenheimer said:

Like the combination of the brown and sepia. Microns?

Tanya Thoen said:

I love doing these! Here is mine in brown and sepia.

So vibrant Sharon, love it.

sharon oppenheimer said:

I have a template, I've tangled it, and now I'm playing with colour.  Here are the template and the tangled version of my Lotus Mandala. Feel free to use the template ;-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service