"In Your Style" - Nitobe Memorial Garden - 06-23-2014

This is a picture I took last week at the Nitobe Memorial Garden, Vancouver, BC.  An absolutely stunning garden!

The Nitobe Memorial Garden is a 2½ acre (one hectare) traditional Japanese garden located at the University of British Columbia, just outside the city limits of Vancouver, Canada. It is part of the UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research.

One of the most authentic Japanese gardens in North America, it honours Japanese author, educator, diplomat, and politician Nitobe Inazō (1862–1933), who died in Victoria, British Columbia (now the sister city of Nitobe's home town Morioka), and whose goal was "to become a bridge across the Pacific."

The garden has been the subject of more than fifteen years' study by a UBC professor, who believes that its construction hides a number of impressive features, including references to Japanese philosophy and mythology, shadow bridges visible only at certain times of year, and positioning of a lantern that is filled with light at the exact date and time of Nitobe's death each year. The garden is behind the university's Asian Centre, which is built with steel girders from Japan's exhibit at Osaka Expo.

This challenge is open to all artists, whatever your medium.

Please post your finished artwork in this discussion thread. We're looking forward to seeing the diversity in art created by one reference/inspiration photo!

Views: 734

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aloha Jo...thx for always putting these challenges into collage form....its so cool to see all of the artworks at one glance....Peace!
Jo Flockton said:

beautiful work! Here's the collage for this challenge, so far

No worries Nelson! Have a great weekend!

Beautiful!

Jayne Somogy said:

Here's my offering for the challenge.  9x12, Copic Ciao Art Markers.  This one took me two days!

Very pretty!

Georgette Livingston said:

Here is my contribution to the Nitobe Park Challenge.  My approach was a little different as it is painted (with acrylics) on a 3" wide x 10" long slab of pressed wood, so I had to elongate it!  Was fun to do, though.  It's a gorgeous park! ♥

I just love your work Wray!

Wraymona Low said:

My contribution to this Nitobe Memorial Garden Challenge. Done in my usual medium of black ink and black sharpie.

Love the tree Nelson, you did a great job.

Nelson Failing said:

HERE YOU GO....FROM ME!

Thank you Debbie...I think the tree came out wonderful too!

Debbie Rippie said:

Love the tree Nelson, you did a great job.

Nelson Failing said:

HERE YOU GO....FROM ME!

Amazing take on this photo Daryll!

Daryll Geddes said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service