It's time for a new challenge! This week we have a lovely photo of a Phoenix .

(Image courtesy of Thaneeya McArdle ~ Creator of The Art Colony and art education site,  Art-is-fun.com).

We would like you to use the reference/inspiration photo to create a piece "In Your Style".

This Challenge is open to all artists, whatever your medium.

Please post your finished artwork in this discussion thread. We're looking forward to seeing the diversity in art created by one reference/inspiration photo!

In Greek mythology, a phoenix or phenix (Greek: φοῖνιξ phoinix) is a long-lived bird that is cyclically regenerated or reborn. Associated with the sun, a phoenix obtains new life by arising from the ashes of its predecessor. The phoenix was subsequently adopted as a symbol in Early Christianity. While the phoenix typically dies by fire in most versions of the legend, there are less popular versions of the myth in which the mythical bird dies and simply decomposes before being born again.[1] According to some legends, the phoenix could live over 1400 years before rebirth.[2] Herodotus, Lucan, Pliny the Elder, Pope Clement I, Lactantius, Ovid, and Isidore of Seville are among those who have contributed to the retelling and transmission of the phoenix motif.
In the historical record, the phoenix "could symbolize renewal in general as well as the sun, time, the empire, metempsychosis, consecration, resurrection, life in the heavenly Paradise, Christ, Mary, virginity, the exceptional man, and certain aspects of Christian life".

Views: 1232

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Pat. I try to jump, but don't usually post as I'm often running a month behind.  With today a holiday and creative juices flowing thought I'd catch up.  This forum is such a wonderful creative outlet, I'm sure lots of others appreciate it as much as I do!  Thanks so much to all those who make it happen!

Great self-portrait/Phoenix! You made me smile Christin!

It pushes me I know that...lol

Christin W. said:

Thanks, Pat. I try to jump, but don't usually post as I'm often running a month behind.  With today a holiday and creative juices flowing thought I'd catch up.  This forum is such a wonderful creative outlet, I'm sure lots of others appreciate it as much as I do!  Thanks so much to all those who make it happen!

"Reborn"; done with sharpies. I added some feathers after the fact using chalk. 

Great Phoenix Darla!

Very nice job Darla!

Darla Beamon said:

"Reborn"; done with sharpies. I added some feathers after the fact using chalk. 

Hello, everybody! Kinda late to the party, but it's me. Sharing my first piece here "Rise of The Phoenix"-X!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service