"In Your Style" - Sugar Skull Challenge ~ 10/14/2013

This is the Sugar Skull Challenge. We would like you to use the reference/inspiration photo (courtesy of Thaneeya McArdle) to create a piece "In Your Style".

Sugar Skulls are used during Day of the Dead celebrations in Mexico (and it is spreading around the world). The Sugar Skull represents a departed soul and is used to honor the return of the departed soul's spirit on the Day of the Dead. These celebrations occur on November 1 and 2, every year.

This Challenge is open to all artists, whatever your medium.

Please post your finished artwork in this discussion thread. We're looking forward to seeing the variety of Sugar Skulls created, whether just for fun, or to represent a specific departed soul.

Views: 2669

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Toto... I don't think we're in Oz anymore!" .... 22x28" acrylic on canvas.

Diane, your picture definitely belongs here, awesome job!  Thanks for joining our skull challenge. I like the rip in the dress touch...lol

Thanks Pat! I worked on this for over a month and just finished it last night.. on Dia de los Muertos! (kind of fitting.. I celebrated with a glass of Moscato) :-)

Pat said:

Diane, your picture definitely belongs here, awesome job!  Thanks for joining our skull challenge. I like the rip in the dress touch...lol

I don't blame you, I'd be celebrating to if I painted that Diane..lol

Very cute!

Diane Reynolds said:

"Toto... I don't think we're in Oz anymore!" .... 22x28" acrylic on canvas.

Very nice, I really love all the thought that went into this piece. The portrait of your mother with the sugar skull face is beautiful!

Margot Bloom said:

This piece is titled "When she left" because my father always says this about my mother instead of saying she died.  I made the piece out of an old suitcase to emphasize the traveling theme.  The left side of the suitcase represents her loved ones who are still living and the right side are her dearly departed (including her dog), and a portrait of my mother I did in the traditional sugar skull face.  There are many different animals because she was a lover of all animals.  The small sugar skulls were created by her grandchildren Kelly and Aaron and depict images that remind them of their Mema.  It was an honor and a labor of love to do this piece.

I like this , Very nice!

Kim Wilkowich said:

Great Colors!

Dawn Robertson said:

Here's my entry, not my usual subject matter, thanks for the challenge!

Here's an up-to-date collage of the Sugar Skull Challenge. Feel free to submit to the challenge, I'll create a new collage as needed.

Very cool !

Jo , I love how you collaged all the skulls together. Thank you for taking the time to do that! It looks great!

Jo Flockton said:

Here's an up-to-date collage of the Sugar Skull Challenge. Feel free to submit to the challenge, I'll create a new collage as needed.

No worries Maureen. I've done it with all the challenges, nice to see the different styles grouped together!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service