"IN YOUR STYLE" ~ UNDER THE SEA (OCTOPUS) CHALLENGE ~ 9-1-2014

Views: 1617

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi everyone!  First and foremost let me say the 'Elna's Girls' challenge is going to be a hard act to follow!  But follow it I must for it's time for a new challenge.  And the challenge is ~ UNDER THE SEA featuring the marvelous creature of many colors, MR. OCTOPUS!

Found worldwide, the octopus is a fascinating creature with eight long limbs protruding from its globe shaped head.  Lots of fascinating information surrounds this mollusk, but in my opinion the most fascinating of all is its ability to change colors when threatened -- a true camouflage technique caused by pigment cells in the skin.  They can also adapt the texture of their skin to blend in with their surroundings.

Though this 'Under The Sea' challenge focuses on the octopus, all manner of sea creatures can be added to your entry! I have included a painting I did some time ago as a reference. Where I focused on the mermaid -- this challenge must focus on Mr. Octopus, though you can certainly add mermaids if you choose!

Prosenjit Roy, who is a dear friend here on TAC, probably said it best when discussing 'Under The Sea' adventures ~ quoting Prosenjit:  "In an Octopus Garden, in the shade.  Dreamy, imaginative and adventurous.....:

And so with that, I'll leave you to have fun and let it all be pure imagination!

Added note: In An Octopus Garden is a song written by Ringo Starr from the 1969 album - Abbey Road.  Use it as an incentive -- along with wherever your imagination takes you!  Above all, have fun! ♥

Awesome!! I'm starting mine today!! <3

Georgette Livingston said:

Hi everyone!  First and foremost let me say the 'Elna's Girls' challenge is going to be a hard act to follow!  But follow it I must for it's time for a new challenge.  And the challenge is ~ UNDER THE SEA featuring the marvelous creature of many colors, MR. OCTOPUS!

Found worldwide, the octopus is a fascinating creature with eight long limbs protruding from its globe shaped head.  Lots of fascinating information surrounds this mollusk, but in my opinion the most fascinating of all is its ability to change colors when threatened -- a true camouflage technique caused by pigment cells in the skin.  They can also adapt the texture of their skin to blend in with their surroundings.

Though this 'Under The Sea' challenge focuses on the octopus, all manner of sea creatures can be added to your entry! I have included a painting I did some time ago as a reference. Where I focused on the mermaid -- this challenge must focus on Mr. Octopus, though you can certainly add mermaids if you choose!

Prosenjit Roy, who is a dear friend here on TAC, probably said it best when discussing 'Under The Sea' adventures ~ quoting Prosenjit:  "In an Octopus Garden, in the shade.  Dreamy, imaginative and adventurous.....:

And so with that, I'll leave you to have fun and let it all be pure imagination!

Added note: In An Octopus Garden is a song written by Ringo Starr from the 1969 album - Abbey Road.  Use it as an incentive -- along with wherever your imagination takes you!  Above all, have fun! ♥

Dear Georgette, this is brilliant - without exception, like all your creations, textual or pictorial. And thank you for honoring me with the quote -"In the octopus' garden, in the shade... Dreamy, imaginative and adventurous". I haven't been here all that much in recent days (my loss entirely), owing to some distractions. I hope to remedy that in a not too distant future. I hope you won't mind a lot if I post something which I had created a number of years ago, almost as if in anticipation of this very theme, which you have posted today. Again, thank you for the inspiration (to share) and for your kindness :)

A Watercolor sketch on handmade paper (I don't remember the exact dimensions, probably 10 or 11 inches across), an illustration of something I had penned (perhaps it was the other way round, again... I'm unsure).

'The Flute of the Mango Seed'

A puff of stardust
Sprinkled on the forgotten path
Down by the lake of stilled kisses,
Records the footsteps of an alien heart;

Arriving out of the shadows,
At the foot of the Tree of Folly
The footsteps vanish at the water's edge;
Someone has waded into the lake...

A star-field glimmers on its tranquil skin
Frozen twisters, like icebergs
Stand tall and silhouetted -
Sentinels on stilts, lightly treading water

The air is cold and unsparing.
Deep below, colorful fishes swim
Subdued, tip-toeing around the Mermaid's hut
The Octopus has retreated into its lair.

Assorted trinkets and baubles
Sparkling dim in the forbidden depths
Adorn the doorway to the frail hut
The simple abode, of the Lady of the Lake.

The footsteps stop in front of it
Alien heart, like seaweed swaying
begins to wax and wane to the flutist's tune
Melancholy strains, drifting from afar

The notes sparkle, and dissolve
In the blue water
Creatures gather in eager clusters
To listen to the flute of the mango seed.

The Octopus tumbles out of its
Slit in the rock, and under the Tree of Folly
Fireflies come out in neon swarms,
The moon shows its face and stalls.

Far above, on the trail of Cancer
drifting across spaces unknown
a rag-tag boy, in a rag-tag boat
unfurls his tattered sails.

[Thank you for reading :) ]

Prosenjit, great painting! Love all the colours and textures. The story is told, by the painting, the 'frail hut' of the Lady of the Lake, and a really cute octopus! I've started my octopus, but it may take awhile ;-)

Thank you Jo, I'm an admirer of your work. Your 'Round Tuit' and 'Cooling my Jets' bring a smile to my face :)

Jo Flockton said:

Prosenjit, great painting! Love all the colours and textures. The story is told, by the painting, the 'frail hut' of the Lady of the Lake, and a really cute octopus! I've started my octopus, but it may take awhile ;-)

My dear Prosenjit ~~~ anything you care to post is certainly okay with me, and this offering is simply wonderful, as well as your prose!  I am in admiration for your use of so many beautiful words, and your art reflects it all!  Jo -- lol!  Now maybe we'll all get 'Round Tuit'! ♥

Just finished my first octopus

Awesome job Jo! Really neat looking.

Jo Flockton said:

Jo -- what a gorgeous octopus!  Boy, you sure got 'round tuit'!!!!  Love it, and thanks so much for entering that wonderful, mystical place beneath the sea! ♥

Jo Flockton said:

Thanks so much for entering that exciting, mystical place beneath the sea, Sze!  Your octopus is wonderful as are all the fish, coral and additions! ♥
Sze Min Ang said:

Jo, this fully lives up to what I've come to expect from you :) Even the mesh-makers of 3D modelling would've been proud to have a 'mesh' like that!

Sze, I'm amazed at how with that single, continuous line, you've drawn the entire octupus! And with a few similar lines you've created an entire under-sea ambiance. Very nice!

Oops, I had completely over-looked this comment! Thank you so much Georgette, I'm humbled by this :)

Georgette Livingston said:

My dear Prosenjit ~~~ anything you care to post is certainly okay with me, and this offering is simply wonderful, as well as your prose!  I am in admiration for your use of so many beautiful words, and your art reflects it all!  Jo -- lol!  Now maybe we'll all get 'Round Tuit'! ♥

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service