I am a 17 yr old girl. I have a couple of friends, none are girls. I don't like jewelry or perfume or makeup. I live in Alabama but I do not act like it at all. I would rather stay inside and read art books then go hang out with my friends. I feel like its just me, all alone, that no one gets it. Art isn't just something you randomly pick up. It is a way of life and it completly alters how you see evrything. Is there something wrong with me in that I am so young to get this? Please reply. Doo any of you you feel like this?

Views: 361

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in soooo long!  And I haven't seen the Johnny Depp version at all yet... I'll have to do that...! 

Alan Minshull said:

What did Willy Wonka say?

We are the music makers and we are the dreamer of dreams.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men..

and what would life be without art and artists? Unthinkable, preposterous. Carry on onwards and upwards :)

I was going to mention Salvador Dali, Skylar.   :)  I would have liked to have lived in the time of the Surrealists...

You will do awesome things at art school, I know!   

Oh, Skylar.  Bless you, honey.  I live in Alabama too.  I felt exactly the same way you do when I was your age.  Oh my goodness.  Please don't make the same mistakes I did.  I am now 40 years old and have just this year decided to pursue my dream of being an artist.  Like you I was always the proverbial square peg trying to fit myself into the round holes that everyone else made for me.  I was always interested in every kind of art from as long as I can remember - drawing, painting, sewing, crafting, poetry, literature, etc.  I am still the only person I know in Alabama who regularly watches PBS!  I've always watched it.  I was always completely different from my friends.  They were all into clothes and hair and boys and whatever everybody else was thinking was "cool" at the moment.  At 17 I was into classical music, Shakespearean theatre, art, Audrey Hepburn (still love her), haute couture (I wanted to be Edith Head) and a million other things that none of my "friends" had ever even heard of.  Oh, Skylar.  We should talk.  Please stay true to yourself.  Listen to your OWN VOICE no matter what anyone else tries to tell you.  Follow your heart.  Do what makes YOU happy no matter what.  You only have one life to live.  Don't be like me and waste the first 40 years of your life.  Hold tight to your dreams.  Follow your bliss, to use a cliche'.  But it's true.  If it doesn't feel right, don't do it.  The worst mistake of my life has been letting other people tell me what I am suppose to be doing.  It took me 40 years to have the courage to do what I want to do.  I'm so proud of you for having the courage to do what I couldn't do.  You hang in there, girl.  You can do it!  If you love what you're doing, you will make it.  No matter what anyone tells you.  If only I could go back in time and talk to my 17 year old self.  You are special, Skylar.  And you are blessed.  You have been set apart for a reason.  Embrace what makes you unique.  And let me assure you - there is no such thing as "normal".  People are afraid of what they don't understand - of what they can't control.  The term "normal" is just a way of controlling people.  I want you to see that your uniqueness is truly a blessed gift.  Embrace it!  Someone on this website has already quoted Dr. Seuss, I think it was, who said "The people who matter don't mind.  And the people who mind don't matter!" 

Skylar: Next time someone gets on your case ask them one question: Define normal. And watch them get all tongue tied.

Sounds to me like you are just very passionate about doing the things that you like, and  I can definately relate.

Awh! Thank you so much! My entire life I have been different. Always. I picked up art very early and my family isn't to fond of it. And you did the right thing with that teacher. I have a couple like that. No real outside teaching besides my art teachers at school. Its nice to talk to people who feel the same way as I, especially someone close to my age like you. <3 

Aubrey said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with you!! You are an individual, you don't WANT to be part of the crowd! You are made/meant/destined for something different that run-of-the-mill folks won't understand.

If it's any consolation, I'm "weird" too. I picked up art when I was 11 or 12 and I taught myself. I didn't want lessons because the teachers frustrated me and I always learned better at my own pace. Now, I've grown in my style, tried to take a class or two and have butted heads with the teachers. I actually had one teacher ride me hard the entire class because she didn't like my realistic style. It's how I see, I couldn't paint any other way without getting so frustrated I didn't want to paint anymore. When I told my parents that, they said it would be okay if I quit the class (it was free). They usually push me to finish what I start, they've never encouraged me to quit anything but in that instance, the teacher wasn't teaching me, she was trying to guilt/force me into a way that I did not work.

I'm 21 years old now, I'm still perfectly happy living at home on my little farm with my animals and my pencils and paints. I know I belong here. I can be myself. I don't have many friends my age since they're so obsessed wtih college or they're married and have a few kids by now. I can't compare myself to them though because I'm not them.

Find your groove and stick with it. Yes, it is TOUGH. But no matter what, follow your heart and stick to your guns. If you change your mind, that's okay too. Once you step away from your groove, trying to fit the mold of what others want for you or try to push you into, you will only be frustrated, pain-filled and hollow.

If you ever need to talk to a fellow "weirdo", my inbox is always open :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service