Anyone out there tried these? I was considering getting some due to the fact that the Prismacolor Premier Art Stix don't come in gray. Before I buy them though, I have questions, like how well do they blend in comparison to Prismacolr or traditional colored pencils?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Views: 1072

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How do artist's color pencils compare to the average color pencil? When you speak of blending, is it more like smudging?

I have a set and I do use them fairly frequently, but no, they don't seem to blend as well as traditional colored pencils. I am a novice at the medium, so I may not be doing something right though.

My works "Prismacolor" and "Joyful Willow" make heavy use of them, and they have been used here and there on some of my other works as well.

Dusty, you can use a lighter color to blend or the colorless blender, which looks like the colored pencil only it's just clear wax or you can use solvent type blenders. I prefer the waxy colorless blender. Look at my fruit picture or the hand I'm doing and you can hopefully see what I'm talking about with blending. I wouldn't characterize it as smudging.

Dusty Gonterman-Clare said:
How do artist's color pencils compare to the average color pencil? When you speak of blending, is it more like smudging?
Thanks Alicia! I don't guess I'll get them, then. I am huge in to blending, so I don't want something that isn't gonna blend well. I was thinking of getting some polychromos, but they are oil based so don't know if they can be mixed or not. I'm a novice with colored pencil too (well, a novice at art in general, actually), so who knows.

Alicia N. Swindell said:

I have a set and I do use them fairly frequently, but no, they don't seem to blend as well as traditional colored pencils. I am a novice at the medium, so I may not be doing something right though.

My works "Prismacolor" and "Joyful Willow" make heavy use of them, and they have been used here and there on some of my other works as well.

Excuse me that work is "Polychromatic" lol...when the brain does things you don't want it to!

I offer a comparison sheet on colored pencils to my students - to be brief Prismacolor is wax core and listed as soft those two things will destroy your work when adding the lack of "light fastness"  found in Prismacolor.  So I would put it in the Student Grade category.  If you want to do Colored Pencil work that is Gallery worthy use Polychromos by Faber-Castell  they are oil based core and listed as medium.  I do not let any other colored pencil in the class because of may things but the important thing is 120 color sets that have matching 120 color sets in water color pencils.  The range of colors is more like you will want and when layering they blend together nicely.  Word to the wise; When using colored pencils "They are translucent"  your bottom color will influence other colors layered above.  Wish you were close as I have a class starting in early June that would answer all your questions.  

Thank you, so much for the advice, Frank! I just sort of winged it and have done just the two colored pencil pieces, however, I'm doing another as we speak. I'd love to get the Polychromos some day. I'm retired and on a fixed income, so that will have to go on the "wish" list. Maybe with a tax refund or something. I wish I was closer too! I'd love to take a course with you. Never really had one, so it would be fun! Thanks for the response!

Difference lies in a number of things 1 how hard is the core? Medium is best.  How light fast is the color?  Polychromos hold the best light fast record over all.  How many colors are offered?  Polychromos are 120 in oil and watercolor same number and same hues -0 nothing matches the offering.  Medium core and translucent so you layer to find thousands of colors as you use the color wheel to combine colors - this will lead you to find that most soft pencils gob up and hurt your work. 

Great advice, Frank! So, medium is best. And they blend the best too. Poly's are medium? What is Prismacolor? Soft? I notice I have a problem if I put the color down too fast, then the Prismacolor seems to chip off and I have to try to use solvent on it to even out the chip and basically start laying down the color again. As I said, Poly's are on my wishlist. For now I've got Prismacolor Premier and have to make the best of it. Thanks again, Frank.

Polychromos by Faber Castell are medium transparent in nature - always start your color layering with the base color first.  Take your time pressure is a killer with any pencil but Prismacolor is soft and will gob up fast ruing a picture.  More than anything look around at at the web sight stores and download Polychromos light fast record it is the best so your picture stays with you others will fade and Prismacolor is in the top five not to trust.

So hard is not good soft is better but still lacks in workability while medium is best of both worlds.  Remember the Polychromos are Oil based not wax.  Marry that to the right paper Artistico #140 Extra White Hot Pressed watercolor paper and you have a picture worth your time.  Some day I will tell you about using solvent.

Frank Andrus said:

Difference lies in a number of things 1 how hard is the core? Medium is best.  How light fast is the color?  Polychromos hold the best light fast record over all.  How many colors are offered?  Polychromos are 120 in oil and watercolor same number and same hues -0 nothing matches the offering.  Medium core and translucent so you layer to find thousands of colors as you use the color wheel to combine colors - this will lead you to find that most soft pencils gob up and hurt your work. 

Frank Andrus said:

Frank Andrus said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service