This is my latest effort. I don't usually add colour and when I do, I'm afraid I overdo it. In this one, I was learning how to fake gradients in Procreate. I think I did ok on the gradients or shading, but I still got too much colour on the piece.

Views: 1568

Replies to This Discussion

This is great Margaret! You just have to get used to colour, lol! How did you do the gradients? I haven't played with anything unusual with adding colour yet.

I know that I need to get used to colour, but I'm kind of binary - black or white! But us black or white people always have choice. it it's black and white, you can always change it and there's no commitment. If there's colour, then there's been a commitment at some point. 

Popular theory is that saying "No" is final. Wrong. Saying "Yes" is final - once you've said "yes" you've made a commitment. When you say "no", you can still negotiate LOL

That's sort of how I feel about colour. Once you paint part of something, everything you do after that has a real chance of ruining what you've done up to that point. If you leave it black and white, there's less chance of conflict.

Having said that, here's my brief tutorial on how to make a fake gradient. Notice that I use an eraser to achieve the gradual colour change. You can vary the degree of change by the size and opacity of the eraser.

I guess you could use a soft brush and paint layers, but I find I have better edge control when I erase.

So your gradient looks like you have three layers of gradually increased colour then use the eraser to rub the top two layers back. Have I got that straight? I really like the effect you got with the flowers. ;-)
Exactly! In the example, I used similar colors, but you can make some interesting gradients using contrasting colors (I'm sure you already knew that LOL)

thanks, I was also curious about how you did the rainbow spray that you used for the pattern brush tutorial on the Procreate forum.  That looked amazing, with the paint underneath and then erasing the black over the colour with the pattern brush.

Jo, are you serious? You expect me to remember something I did that long ago LOL

Here's what I *think* I did.

With a soft edge brush set to medium opacity, splotch all over a canvas with a variety of colours. Make a new layer and fill it with black. Set the eraser to whatever pattern you want and erase on the black layer - your colored layer will start to show through.

In this example, where you see white pattern on black, that's the white default background showing through.

I have no idea how I made the circle that I used on the Procreate forum - I lost a bunch of brushes when I messed up my iPad. I think the original idea for the pattern eraser came from Sculptingman on the Procreate forums.

Margaret, thanks so much for sharing your recent iPad/Procreate art, and for sharing these handy tips! It's interesting to see how you created your fake gradient. The technique creates a beautiful effect as shown in the piece in your first post. The circles on black in the above post reminds me of rainbow scratch art - very cool!

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service