Firstly - I have to admit I am really intimidated by all of the amazing artists here. I am completely self taught and really don't know much about the proper way of doing things. I am looking for constructive feedback and honest thoughts about my work. It's hard to get your friends and family to do this because I am sure they are worried they might hurt my feelings.

 

This is a acrylic painting on stretched canvas - 7 x 14. I layer color with dry brushes. I like a rough texture that leaves some sections saturated and some lighter, almost bare.

 

Any tips or impressions that you have - please share them. I was asked to submit three pieces to a local art show and I just don't think I am getting IT yet - if you know what I mean.

 

 

Views: 297

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm in your boat with you (no formal training), so the only critique I have is "I love it".  I love bold colors and you've used them wisely in this piece.  It's a fun design.  I'm submitting two paintings this month, for the first time, in an art contest locally so I know your anxieties.  Submit them anyway!  I've come to the realization that I will first paint for my satisfaction, and if others find an identity with it, then I've accomplished my goal. 

Good luck!

Thank you so much for responding Susan. It's amazing how your heart can do a little jump when someone you just met tells you they like what you do. I will submit them - if I can just get brave enough lol


Susan L. Sotelo said:

I'm in your boat with you (no formal training), so the only critique I have is "I love it".  I love bold colors and you've used them wisely in this piece.  It's a fun design.  My first pieces are being submitted in an art contest this month so I know your anxieties.  Submit them anyway!  I've come to the realization that I will first paint for my satisfaction, and if others find an identity with it, then I've accomplished my goal.  Good luck!

Elizabeth -

You are off to a good start! I am also self-taught but 30 years ago. I just kept at it and always took risks. Still doing that and having the time of my life. Keep painting!

Hi Elizabeth,

I like all the angles in your painting - it really leads the eyes through and around your painting. I also like how the triangles are all different shapes and sizes - the variety makes it interesting. 

It's nice how some of the sections look almost 'shaded' - for instance, the yellow triangles with the orange colors on one side.

When it comes to abstract painting, I don't think there is any proper way of doing things, so just keep exploring and experimenting and what you are seeking will fall into place. The best thing is to create paintings that are pleasing to you, because I think the artist's enjoyment of the process shines through in the work.

Happy Painting! :D

Thank you for the comment. I sort of feel like a colt wobbling around or boney legs lol. I will keep painting - thank you. I am excited about what might come next.

Barbara Tibbets said:

Elizabeth -

You are off to a good start! I am also self-taught but 30 years ago. I just kept at it and always took risks. Still doing that and having the time of my life. Keep painting!

Thank you so so much for the kind words and productive comment. I am painting today actually and I am keeping your advice in the forefront of my mind. I will paint to please myself and hopefully everything else will fall into place.

Thaneeya McArdle said:

Hi Elizabeth,

I like all the angles in your painting - it really leads the eyes through and around your painting. I also like how the triangles are all different shapes and sizes - the variety makes it interesting. 

It's nice how some of the sections look almost 'shaded' - for instance, the yellow triangles with the orange colors on one side.

When it comes to abstract painting, I don't think there is any proper way of doing things, so just keep exploring and experimenting and what you are seeking will fall into place. The best thing is to create paintings that are pleasing to you, because I think the artist's enjoyment of the process shines through in the work.

Happy Painting! :D

Well, I am self taught, started painting 30 years ago, and I love it! I really do! Love the colors and the way it looks almost velvety in texture-although that may just be my computer monitor, lol!
Hi Elizabeth, I'm in exactly the same boat as you.  I've only recently started painting again having merely only dabbled once or twice in the 15 years since I left college (yikes that long ago!).  So far I don't think I've produced anything particularly good but the most important thing is that I really enjoy it.  (Although I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to get good again!).  Personally, I really like the piece you've shared.  I love vivid colours and this painting is a riot of colours.  I know putting that many colours on one page/canvas can be a disaster if they don't 'go' together well so I think you've done really well because they seem to set each other off nicely.  Good luck with choosing your pieces for the local art show -  how exciting!
Thank you for commenting. It does have almost a fabric type of effect. I wish I knew how to blend colors better :(  and thank you for loving it. It is starting to grow on me.

Laura Thykeson said:
Well, I am self taught, started painting 30 years ago, and I love it! I really do! Love the colors and the way it looks almost velvety in texture-although that may just be my computer monitor, lol!
I know exactly what you mean. I am torn all the time between wanting to be better and just painting for the joy of it. It is hard road. I envy those who can just DO things. Thank you for the nice words about my work. This piece is growing on me a bit but I don't think it's one I am going to submit.

Louise Mead said:
Hi Elizabeth, I'm in exactly the same boat as you.  I've only recently started painting again having merely only dabbled once or twice in the 15 years since I left college (yikes that long ago!).  So far I don't think I've produced anything particularly good but the most important thing is that I really enjoy it.  (Although I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to get good again!).  Personally, I really like the piece you've shared.  I love vivid colours and this painting is a riot of colours.  I know putting that many colours on one page/canvas can be a disaster if they don't 'go' together well so I think you've done really well because they seem to set each other off nicely.  Good luck with choosing your pieces for the local art show -  how exciting!

I know what you mean about looking for helpful comments and others having loads more experience and theoretical knowledge than you. I feel the same way. I really love your painting though, it's extremely unique and I do agree that it has a lot of movement and variety going on. Most of all it has personality. Great job(:

It looks really cool, I like it. One thing I was told by my art teacher, because I was doing something similar, is, don't use too many different colors and balance them well in the whole picture. Look at some pictures from Piet Mondrian, they are a good example.But anyway, it looks great as it is:-). I love bright colours, so. As you I am teaching myself mostly and just finding out about these things.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

 

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

 

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service