Firstly - I have to admit I am really intimidated by all of the amazing artists here. I am completely self taught and really don't know much about the proper way of doing things. I am looking for constructive feedback and honest thoughts about my work. It's hard to get your friends and family to do this because I am sure they are worried they might hurt my feelings.

This is a acrylic painting on stretched canvas - 7 x 14. I layer color with dry brushes. I like a rough texture that leaves some sections saturated and some lighter, almost bare.

Any tips or impressions that you have - please share them. I was asked to submit three pieces to a local art show and I just don't think I am getting IT yet - if you know what I mean.

Views: 297

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Elizabeth first off stop being intimidated by the fact you have no formal training, I have never had any training and this is what I do for a living. Second and most important when you paint or draw or create do it for yourself. You are the only one who can "feel" your work. That sounds kinda weird but thats the only way I know how to say it. Stop being intimadated but others work, that fear and fear doesn't create, not well anyway. We all have to start somewhere and thats the biggest step of all. You have made a huge leap and I congratulate everyone who takes that step. Your style comes with time. Be patient and loving with your talent and you will be richly rewarded I promise you that.  Good luck to you Elizabth and keep going, you can and will do it.

Yes, yes, yes :-). I had to learn to be patient and loving with myself. And the most important thing is that WE love what we painted. It doesn't matter so much what others say. In my art class I show my teacher sometimes what I did at home. He always has something to say like the color composition is not right or this or that.Which I appreciate because I learn from it.

He doesn't like my style so much, he finds it too bold, I know that.But at the end it is my picture and I have to love it. My biggest joy is if I make someone feel my painting. Also it is not all about perfection. I love Elisabeth painting because of the bright colors and it touches something in me. This is what art is about in my opinion.

Technique is something we can still learn and implement.

Having teachers is a good / not so good thing. You can learn so much from them but sometimes, you also have to put up with their ego. That is pretty much life in general. Learn that it is all right to be criticized, learn from it and let the other BS roll off your back. But never think badly of the BS you hear because if your smart you will realize it is a catapult to make you better. Understand that not everyone is going to love your work, everyone sees and feels differently and thats ok. Art not only appeals to the eye but to one's soul.

Elizabeth if you like texture try using the different acrylic mediums, talk about fun!  Your work would be a great place for that. With so many to choose from and experimant with....thats the fun part of creating is experimentation. There are some great books out there on using acrylic mediums.

OK I'm done being preachy...LOL sorry .

Hi Elizabeth, your painting is great but you say you are intimidated? Common, it is a wonderful work. And most of us are self taught. I have no clue about painting and yet I love painting when the mood hits me. Keep the good work comming. I am no artist and so I cant critique. Only this: Keep painting the colors you love.

I totally agree with this. As long as you love doing what you do, everything is fine :-).

Toshi Sanglir said:

Hi Elizabeth, your painting is great but you say you are intimidated? Common, it is a wonderful work. And most of us are self taught. I have no clue about painting and yet I love painting when the mood hits me. Keep the good work comming. I am no artist and so I cant critique. Only this: Keep painting the colors you love.

I am self taught after high school classes in 1973 and 1974,  and  a few college classes.  I go to the library and bring many books home........ and read, study, and look at all the types of artists and techniques.  I go to the internet now, a great resource for Art, and research all I can.  I go to websites that sale art to view other ideas and techniques.

I just keep trying.  It is about painting all the time or drawing daily to keep in tune with Art. Art is wonderful because there is so much to learn, try, so many products and techniques. One never knows it all or how to use all the products. The more one does art and look at successful artists over the years... it frees one to not worry about what is right or wrong.  Viewing proportions and facial features one finds the eyes are not the same.........the shoulders are not even..... it is artist styles.

One learns about color, highlights, dark areas,  and composition by reading art books. 

I love to see new students explore ... and love color!  The excitement of colors. 

I am in an  watercolor enrichment  class  at this time.  If one is afraid to go to class yet, find a friend who goes to an art class.  I see that, a person gets their friend to try it.   There are so many tutorials online,demonstrations.......on how to start. The art companies have a learn section ... so view those also.

Copying others work is how to try things and figure out how they did it.  Just remember to sign c for copy under your name and tell it is a copy to learn how to. Our art instructor at the college had us copy a master artist's work to learn. 

Enjoying Art Daily

M

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service