Welcome to the monthly theme for June. Artwork and comments welcome from everyone!!!!


This month's theme is - Shadows



The theme is open to all artists whatever your medium.

Please post your finished artwork in this discussion thread.

Feel free to post new or old artwork as long as it pertains to this theme.

Please remember to use the picture icon above text box to add images and not the attachment below. Click here for instructions on how to add an image to your forum post. This is important if you want people to be able to see your artwork!

To add your artwork, please use the "Reply to Discussion" box at the bottom of the page, NOT the "+ Add" button at the top of the page. (Otherwise your artwork will not show up in this thread.)

If you want to comment on someone's submission please do so here.

I can't wait to see how you interpret this - painting, drawing, collage etc... so many opportunities for all.

Jane......xx

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alzheimer's Disease robs our elders of their memories. What we remember is who we are, and as the memories fade, we become the shadow of who we once were. This was very challenging, but something I am very passionate about. I work in a long term care facility with the majority of my residents living with Alzheimer's and dementia. I hope to one day be certified as an art therapist and help our elders hold onto their memories as long as possible.


My daughter, Lizzie, wanted to join in on the challenge. I hope that is ok. She's gotten very good with drawing and is now putting meaning to her artwork. I'm very proud of her and how she's grown so far.  This drawing is called "Two Sides", and she said it shows the face she gives the world - outgoing, cheerful, happy. Then it shows her inner face - insecure, afraid of the future. I was very moved by this piece, and how observant she is of herself and the world around her.

'Embracing the Shadow' is the name of this piece. All figures are not rendered, but found from a line dump, carefully and slowly. The black area is the shadow figure. The gold area is gold leaf. I also used graphite, acrylic paint and various layers of markers to create the different blacks. I believe there is also a red figure below. Why is it there? I simply bring the subconscious out as these surface, remember I said not rendered So, there was no 'envisioning' on a goal in mind bt celebrating the `Come what may' idea in art. What? 2017? Has it been 2 years already?!

I really like this piece. I'm constantly moving around, finding new lines and angles each time. I could "watch" this art for hours. Thank you for sharing.

Marcia

Erik Cheung said:

'Embracing the Shadow' is the name of this piece. All figures are not rendered, but found from a line dump, carefully and slowly. The black area is the shadow figure. The gold area is gold leaf. I also used graphite, acrylic paint and various layers of markers to create the different blacks. I believe there is also a red figure below. Why is it there? I simply bring the subconscious out as these surface, remember I said not rendered So, there was no 'envisioning' on a goal in mind bt celebrating the `Come what may' idea in art. What? 2017? Has it been 2 years already?!

This is so very impressive. I wish I could express my thoughts like this. All I do is portraits from the photograph! Someday with God's grace I would be able to create as per my thoughts. Thanks for such an inspiring expression. Regards.

Marcia Campbell said:

Alzheimer's Disease robs our elders of their memories. What we remember is who we are, and as the memories fade, we become the shadow of who we once were. This was very challenging, but something I am very passionate about. I work in a long term care facility with the majority of my residents living with Alzheimer's and dementia. I hope to one day be certified as an art therapist and help our elders hold onto their memories as long as possible.


Hello, I was impressed with the shadows created by SUNSET at Allatoona Lake , Atlanta GA (USA). I took the photo and in 09/05/2005 I finished this oil painting. Today being "Father's day"(06/15/2019), the date on the painting reminds me this particular date was the day when my father left this world. So I can even now relate this Shadows in water to the shadows of my father's memories...as if the Bridge he crossed over has such a wonderful colorful greenery on the other side where he is blessing his whole family since 09/05/1965.


Meera,

You did a wonderful job with this painting. I love the meaning behind the bridge and your Father. I know that loss well, and while he is deeply missed, I know he is better now. Thank you for sharing this lovely work!

As far as my own painting goes, I had an idea, but then I used photographs for reference. You can do the same thing. I hope it works for you.

Marcia


Meera Bakshi said:

Hello, I was impressed with the shadows created by SUNSET at Allatoona Lake , Atlanta GA (USA). I took the photo and in 09/05/2005 I finished this oil painting. Today being "Father's day"(06/15/2019), the date on the painting reminds me this particular date was the day when my father left this world. So I can even now relate this Shadows in water to the shadows of my father's memories...as if the Bridge he crossed over has such a wonderful colorful greenery on the other side where he is blessing his whole family since 09/05/1965.

It is very common when shadow reminds of a dear one who has departed. I think I am still engulfed in the loss myself since last year. It is interesting how the images creeps up time and again!

Dear Marcia, Thanks for your response. I was out of touch with my painting passion because of 2 major health emergencies one for my son got detected cancer in 2014 October and the other my husband got some bacterial lung infection in 2016 February and both the cases detection , treatment etc lasted too long...2014 October till now...My son is going to have his last check up and he will be medically be given "FREE of Cancer patient" and so as my husband has medical appointment in August with the specialist from whom we would like to hear that my husband would not need to go for lung surgery to have that dried empty cavity created in the lung to be removed. I am now hoping to continue with my art works that are left half done since then! Just today while searching for my Father's painting that I had seen long time back on the internet, and could not find , so kept trying various ways to search for it...and came to know about this site where I had signed up in 2012! Isn't it amazing?!?!? I could not find my father's painting on google search, though! I think when Google merged with yahoo some data is lost!  Of course, I do have his painting with me. Anyway, I feel lucky to get back on tracks now! Thanks.

Marcia Campbell said:


Meera,

You did a wonderful job with this painting. I love the meaning behind the bridge and your Father. I know that loss well, and while he is deeply missed, I know he is better now. Thank you for sharing this lovely work!

As far as my own painting goes, I had an idea, but then I used photographs for reference. You can do the same thing. I hope it works for you.

Marcia


Meera Bakshi said:

Hello, I was impressed with the shadows created by SUNSET at Allatoona Lake , Atlanta GA (USA). I took the photo and in 09/05/2005 I finished this oil painting. Today being "Father's day"(06/15/2019), the date on the painting reminds me this particular date was the day when my father left this world. So I can even now relate this Shadows in water to the shadows of my father's memories...as if the Bridge he crossed over has such a wonderful colorful greenery on the other side where he is blessing his whole family since 09/05/1965.

Dear Erik, you are very right. The Bridge and my father connection , that idea just came to my mind today when I posted my painting here. Of course, I feel my father with me always wondering what type of bond is this where I had spent only a few years of knowing him and he is in my memories so deeply carved! May you find peace in ART.

Erik Cheung said:

It is very common when shadow reminds of a dear one who has departed. I think I am still engulfed in the loss myself since last year. It is interesting how the images creeps up time and again!

I always use a hint of blue to enhance shadow ... Mxx

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

 

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

 

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service