I started this one some time ago and have posted regularly on my website but just never got around to posting it here so the details are on my website and here are the the image stages.

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow this is so cool Terry, it has so much character!

Stunning, I would say ! Looks so real! Congrats!  I just love it! <3

Outstanding work in every way - great class!

Thank you Jess, Cristina and Ernst.  This one was a lot of fun to do.  I really appreciate you're stopping by and taking the time to comment.

Beautiful!!It looks so real!!

Wonderful. Can you tell me what brand pencils and what papers you use. My work looks like I colored in a color book. I just started using CP in March 2015 and am losing my desire to keep drawing. How do you make the pics be so smooth and real looking.  What pressure do you use.? just teach me 

Hey Barbara,

Thank you for stopping by.  I use mostly Faber Castell Polychromos pencils but there are some colors in the Derwent and Prismacolor lines that I use as well.  As to paper, I've used lots of different ones trying them to see how they perform but my fave is Strathmore Bristol Vellum or Stonehenge.  The trick to keeping your work from looking like a coloring book is not to color your piece but layer numerous layers and colors with a light to moderate touch.  If yours is looking like a coloring book you could be pressing too hard and using for example, a red to fill in something that is red without adding nuances of other colors in your layers.  When we look at subjects, snow for instance, we know it is white but is it really?  Snow is actually never white depending on the time of day it can be greenish or blue or pink or purple.  So try looking closer at your subject reference and see what subtle nuances of color there are and lighten up using a layering technique.  And of course practice!  Hope that helps you.  Don't be discouraged - it takes time.  I have some tutorials on my website if you want to check those out. http://terrymellway.wordpress.com/

Thanks so much for your help will check the web site too. your art is wonderful

Stunning!  I look forward to seeing your completed work.  

Beautiful work,it's almost like a time lapse slideshow to see the changes. I look forward to completion

well shows ta go ya.  I would have sworn it was a watercolor.  such a delicate touch.  Beautifully done.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service