I am interested in starting a discussion of pastel portraits.

I do portraits of canines and people in soft pastels. My website is not up to date with all of them, but you can see some there now www.bestofaaron.com . I have tried many different papers and boards, and am now using Fisher 400 paper. I mount my paper on Elmer's self adhesive foamboard prior to painting and it gives me a good solid feel when painting. I use pastel pencils extensively and have recently started using Pan Pastels and Sofft tools for blending.

Views: 180

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ebb, Just took a look at your page of pastels. I think they're all wonderful. ROCKY is my favorite. I'd like to ask you how you keep from smudging up your work in progress. I'm having a terrible time smearing finished areas. When I cover it I seem to lose my focus on the picture I'm trying to create.

Judith

I use a Mahl stick, actually the EZ handrest I bought from Jerry's Artarama when I was doing oils. I don't attach it to anything, just hold it against my drawing board with my left hand when painting with the right.

You can make your own Mahl stick with a piece of dowel from home depot and wrap one end with a piece of chamois (home depot). Some people use a wooden walking cane, cut short to fit the size of your work.

Not only does it protect your work from smudging, but it provides a solid hand/finger rest and gives you much more control over your work.

Judith Holz said:

Hi Ebb, Just took a look at your page of pastels. I think they're all wonderful. ROCKY is my favorite. I'd like to ask you how you keep from smudging up your work in progress. I'm having a terrible time smearing finished areas. When I cover it I seem to lose my focus on the picture I'm trying to create.

Thanks for the great idea. I will definitely try it. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service