Welcome to Profile of the Week! We are delighted to present Beverly J Raffaele from Vancouver, WA, USA.

Beverly creates landscapes and florals, primarily in oils and acrylics. To see more of Beverly's artwork, visit her gallery: http://community.art-is-fun.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?scre...

When you view her portfolio, be sure to click on the images to view them larger!

Please join us for this interview with Beverly:

How would you describe your art?

I am a landscape artist who loves to paint what tugs at my heart… I live two hours from the Pacific Ocean to the west and two hours from the Cascade Mountains to the north, south and east. With that brings luscious water falls, rivers, streams, and lakes. Wine country is so picturesque and gorgeous farm land spreads out over the valleys.

I was raised in Crescent City CA, just over the Oregon border, where the beach and the coast redwoods were my playground. I have never ever taken any of this glory for granted. My dad, a lumberman told me to never look at a tree as just green and brown. So although I can’t match God's omniscient paint brush, I will continue to paint floral pieces and landscapes until I practice enough to paint people. I have tried other styles of painting like throwing my emotions out on a canvas and calling it abstract. But I laughed out loud when I was finished and then threw it away.

How long have you been an artist and how did you become an artist?

I have been painting for about 15 years now. My husband has painted one painting in his life and that was of Mt. Hood (to give to his mother, God rest her soul.) I decided to pick up his paints and give it a try. I found that I had painted a lovely rose and that I loved the feeling of a finished painting. I am self- taught and I practice, practice, practice.

What is your favorite medium and why?

I have tried them all and oil is what I keep coming back to. Water soluble oils are new to me and I am going to do a painting with them soon.

Pick one work of art from your Art Colony portfolio and tell us the story behind it. Why does this piece have meaning to you? What steps did you take to create the piece? 

I love roses, hydrangeas and dahlias. I grow them all. I wanted to do a painting for my husband so in 2003 I painted a bouquet of our favorite flowers  in a copper vase. I titled it “Backyard Bouquet" (shown above). It was the first painting that I truly felt deserved a place on our wall. My husband Stephen loves it.

Tell us about one medium, technique or style that you would like to try working with (that you have not tried before) and why you would like to try this.

I have used every paint medium, but colored pencil has caught my eye. Before I try it however, I need to improve on my drawing skills.

How do you make time for art?

I am retired now and when we bought this house, Stephen made sure that I had an art room. I have a large screen computer in there also. I inform him that I will be upstairs for some time. And after 40 years of marriage he knows that I will lose track of time. So around 6:00 he will poke his head in the door and say, “Honey, it’s six, you need to eat.”  I get very caught up in what I am painting. Before retirement I had to snatch the time to paint.

If you could imagine the “perfect art day” for yourself, what would it be like?

In the month of June and July, Washington and Oregon have lavender festivals from the many farms that grow gorgeous varieties of lavender for the market. One such festival is in Yamhill Oregon and they host open air art day prior to the festival. I would love to participate. There is music, artists and the incredible wafting scent of lavender. It is heaven on earth and visually stunning to see. I hope I can get there this year. If anyone want specific dates and place they are on the web. The photos are something to behold!

If you could spend 24 hours with one artist, living or historical, who would you want to spend the day with and why? What would the two of you do?

Amongst my favorite artists, I have to say, Edward Hopper fascinates me! I would have loved to spend 24 hours learning from him. I would observe him painting and then he would instruct me as I paint… My favorite quote from him is, “All I did was put light on a building.”  

Do you have any tips or advice for aspiring artists?

Yes… I want to see everyone succeed. The name of my website is “ForArtistandWriters.com.” I emphasize art lesson sites and the criterion has to be that each website offers free lessons.

I tell aspiring artists that practice sculpts out a pathway in the brain. When ability meshes with creative desire, it is incredibly satisfying and very liberating…so practice, practice, practice. One time my brother played the same lick on his guitar for a solid week and he didn’t play anything else. He said he was stealing it from Eric Clapton. My brother is great on the guitar! Drive, desire and determination are key to whatever we want to do well.

Thank you for this opportunity to talk with you. Since I can’t reach out and take your hand, I want to say God Bless you and I hope all of you enjoy the rest of this year, as you create the lovely works I see here on "The Art Colony!"

Views: 222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love your backyard bouquet! And your roses with the guitar are phenomenal! Enjoyed your profile!

Well done on being profile of the week Beverley :) I really enjoyed your interview :)

Many congrats Beverly....loved reading your profile interview...your work is lovely and inspiring...xx

Congrats Beverly!  I enjoyed reading your profile, you do very nice work!

Thanks for sharing your life stories with us, Beverly! I loved reading about your Dad inspiring you about trees. Your work is so beautiful and I envy your ability to do such incredible landscape and still life.You use the right colors..the right medium and treat us to such beautiful, loving art!!

I love your work. Your color palette choices are wonderful. You're very skilled at color harmony. I will check out your website. 

Amazing!!! Love it!

Congratulations, beautiful work, Beverley.  I enjoyed your profile as you seem to have the same philosophy towards art as I do.

lovely paintings...colorful and vibrant...

Sorry this is so late -- your work is beautiful, Beverley.  Thanks for sharing!

I am so humbled by all of your words. I was away visiting my Dad and Mom and they don't have computer access... I didn't see this until now! This is wonderful!

Mary Page said:

I love your backyard bouquet! And your roses with the guitar are phenomenal! Enjoyed your profile!

Thank you so much! I was away this week at my parents house. Sorry I am late with this. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service