Welcome to Profile of the Week! We are delighted to present Cheekyjane from Hampshire, UK.

Cheekyjane creates eye-catching illustrations using pens and markers.  To see more of Cheekyjane's artwork, visit her gallery: http://community.art-is-fun.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?scre...

When you view her portfolio, be sure to click on the images to view them larger!

Please join us for this interview with Cheekyjane:

How would you describe your art?

Ummm this is a little hard to answer as I’m not really sure how I would describe my work... let me think... I think I would have to say Expressive, Funky Fun... a combination between cartoon and realism. I want my work to express emotion, be expressive, fun and funky with a touch of realism. I like to draw off the page as I feel this adds character and expresses my style. I think I have managed to create a style of my own for people to recognise.

How long have you been an artist and how did you become an artist?

I have been drawing since I was knee high, my mum bought me an art set when I was about 4 years old. I took art as a main subject at school and passed both exam levels from two different examination boards. I have on and off over the years done other crafting such as paper craft, card-making, scrap-booking and sewing but I am always drawn back to my love of drawing and so now that’s what I devote all my time too.

What is your favorite medium and why?

I have tried many different mediums over the years and always used to use watercolour... but a couple of years ago I discovered Alcohol Ink pens (Copics, Spectrum Noir, etc) and I just simply love using them. I love how they blend well and that they are quick and easy to use. If used correctly they make your artwork look as if it’s just been printed. The only downfall with these pens is that they are a little costly to buy. I have just invested in the Inktense pencils and so am practicing with them too right now.

Pick one work of art from your Art Colony portfolio and tell us the story behind it. Why does this piece have meaning to you? What steps did you take to create the piece?

I have put 3 pictures into one for this question... hope that is okay as these pics have such a special meaning to me in my heart...

My Memories

The reason I have chosen these pictures is kinda sad but happy really... Due to grieving the loss of my parents I didn’t do any drawings for 5 years... here goes... my mum passed away suddenly the day before my birthday in November 2007 and as you can imagine it was not a very good Christmas either that year. Then just over a year later on 1st January 2009 my dad passed away, he couldn’t live without my mum and died from a broken heart. This time of the year is always the saddest for me but putting that aside and looking upon the happy side of things... In April 2012 I gave birth to my little boy after having 4 girls who are all grown up now and something just clicked in my brain that I should start drawing again, thus I went on the computer and discovered the Alcohol Ink pens... The two Summer Fun pictures I drew to remember all the good times we had... I would often take mum and dad on a road trip and we always ended up at the beach, they loved it and we had some good times. I have the pictures hanging in my living room, I often look at them as they remind me of good memories. The “my salvation” picture I drew because I know that one day it will be my salvation to be reunited with my parents.

All 3 pictures have such a special meaning to me... I look at them and know that mum and dad are always with me.

Tell us about one medium, technique or style that you would like to try working with (that you have not tried before) and why you would like to try this.

Well this is easy to answer... having tried mostly all mediums over the years, the one I have never tried is dip pen and ink. I love the very fine detail you can create and adding colour wash just fascinates me... so I know this takes a little time to get to grips with but definitely very soon I will be practicing with pen and ink. Can’t wait to add my own style to this technique... watch this space.

How do you make time for art?

Making time for art is very important to me and I do try to do at least one drawing a day... but being a busy mum with a demanding 2½ year old and 2 teenage daughters its quite chaotic at times, my 2 eldest daughters don’t live at home now but are always popping in and with a grand-daughter too, plus hubby you can imagine it's one busy household at times. So in between all the chaos and running a home I do try and draw when I can during the day, but I find evenings and weekends are the best times for my art.

If you could imagine the “perfect art day” for yourself, what would it be like?

My perfect day would be spending the whole day drawing with my daughter Rhian, she’s 16 years old and studying art at college... she’s fab at portraits and uses watercolour pencils... (I put 3 of her portraits here in my gallery, they are 3 of the supernatural characters as supernatural is her life. Our day would consist of just drawing and learning from each another and just having fun with our creativity.

If you could spend 24 hours with one artist, living or historical, who would you want to spend the day with and why? What would the two of you do?

Ummm... I have several artists that inspire me but the one I would love the most to spend 24 hours with is Leonardo Pereznieto. He is a fantastic artist and uses all mediums, I love his work and he is also a great teacher of art. Our 24 hours would consist of him teaching me his many techniques and to add some fun to the time we spend together I will teach him my style of drawing... hehe.

Do you have any tips or advice for aspiring artists?

My advice to any aspiring artists is never give up, sometimes it takes me 3 or 4 attempts until I get it right. Don’t be afraid to try things out or ask for help. Always remember Practice Practice Practice... it really does work and Practice does make Perfect.

Views: 621

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Merry Christmas Jane! We loved having you here all week!!

Aloha Jane....sorry I missed your week of being featured artist on TAC but I always say, better late than never....hahaha....and I am not one to ever be late....lol....so I truly apologize...CONGRATULATIONS!!!....its about time....love the interview and your featured artworks....sorry to hear about your mom and dad's passing...my sympathies...anyways, wishing you all the best....have a great holiday season and continue to wow us with your awesome artworks....Aloha and I will see you in the gallery....oh and btw, you look as if youre 16 yourself to have a daughter who is 16....lol

Thank you Nelson.....your a true friend and I always appreciate your comments......xx

Congratulations!!  Your work is outstanding! I absolutely love your illustrations and use of color.

Brilliant!

Thank you Terrie.....very much appreciated....xx

Cheekyjane, please forgive my late post; I have been out of pocket for a while. Congrats on your well deserved POTW! You know I just love your work; there is something about the way you use color and your style that takes me to another place. I am excited to see what else you do!

Thank you Sharon......I love your work too and very much appreciate your lovely comment......xx

Well done Cheekyjane on not only being selected for your profile on TAC, but on your interesting read and a style that's all your own. Love them, keep us all inspired by your future work which I am so looking forward to..

Your art is amazing!  Thanks for sharing and allowing yourself to be vulnerable.  I have found everyone has a story and my heart breaks for you.  But what a gift to be able to work out your loss through art.  We have buried 3 young people due to drugs/alcohol plus I have lost most of the rest of my family in the past 5 years.  I don't have 1/10th of the talent you do but I find being creative is very soothing and satisfying.  Keep on doing what you are doing - you are way too good to keep this gift to yourself.  May you be blessed with JOY.   

Thank you so very much for your kind words Jan...means so much and agree drawing is one of the best remedies for overcoming grief.....so for your loss too and hope you find comfort through art too....big hugz.....xx

Congratulations Jane....love your art.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service