(November 8, 2015) Profile of the Week: Dusty Gonterman-Clare

Welcome to Profile of the Week! We are delighted to present Dusty Gonterman-Clare from Garland, TX, USA.

Dusty creates expressive art in a variety of media. To see more of Dusty's artwork, visit her gallery: http://community.art-is-fun.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?scre...

When you view her portfolio, be sure to click on the images to view them larger!

Please join us for this interview with Dusty:

How would you describe your art?

Most works are done in the "painterly" style, giving the viewer a chance to see the brushwork, texture and movement. My tendency is to find the life in the subjects. Even if the work is a still life or abstract, there is life in the movement of the light or passing colors. Not trying to trap it by one circular highlight but using analogous colors to flow from one end to the other.

How long have you been an artist and how did you become an artist?

We are all artists in some way. We are all born creative, ingenious beings. Our artistic spark only stops when we make other's opinion about our work more important than our own. I was lucky enough not to develop an "art story". ( An "art story" usually starts something  like this: 'my mom thought it was a waste of time', 'my teacher said I had no talent' or 'we couldn't waste money on paints.' )

Long enough to start the answer with "back in my day." :) I can't remember a time I wasn't drawing but I came into my own when I started painting in my mid-twenties. I was given a bag of craft paints and canvas by someone who was just going to throw it out.. This was before I had even heard of YouTube, so I had to try and fail, fail again and maybe succeed. My goal is consistency. To think it, paint it and be happy with the results is where I want to be. After a decade of painting, I am 65% confident in my ability.

What is your favorite medium and why?

I have been fortunate enough to work with most mediums. Clay is probably my favorite medium, it is the most tactile. There is nothing like creating with your hands, turning your caged monkey brain to watch your hands create. It is also my mighty mini's favorite medium (the youngest is 4) so my uber cool pieces end up with hand/foot impressions or buried legos. For now, I don't work with it often. Clay isn't a medium which lends itself to the "come back to it" process.

Acrylics are wonderful for their drying time, versatility, color array and vibrancy. The structure of the paint, in heavy body, can express mood as much as the color or subject matter. I often use a few drops of Dr PH Martin's Hydrus Fine Art Liquid Watercolor to an acrylic liquid medium for intense color wash.

Mixed media - in my world it translates to stuff I glued on to the canvas. It can be quite fun. I created a version of Picasso's Guitar Sculpture. The color and strumming hands make it my own. This is still pretty new to me. It's so much fun to take pieces, guess what they could be and make it happen.

I think oil paint is my least favorite. It blends seamlessly, intense colors, and can be a flawless execution. The drying time is nice for corrections later but also leaves it open to smudging. Drying time is huge for me. I can only think of a few works that have taken me more than an hour or two to finish. I can't imagine a painting taking days on my easels.

Pick one work of art from your Art Colony portfolio and tell us the story behind it. Why does this piece have meaning to you? What steps did you take to create the piece?

The South Side Library (shown above). It was the first piece I ever sold and it went to the library. It became part of the display. They bought two other pieces from me to be part of their lending collection. (This library used to lend out artwork so an office could have a revolving collection.) It was the flag on my Mt. Everest. My work hung in a public building! My paintings being hung offices all over town.

The steps to make it were use brush and pray. I didn't know what I was doing. I was telling people I had been painting a year because I thought it sounded as if I were experienced. This was drawing with a paint brush. The color variations aren't bad but not what I would expect from myself now.

Tell us about one medium, technique or style that you would like to try working with (that you have not tried before) and why you would like to try this.

Cray pas / oil pastels. These amaze and confound me. The blending is easy, like using crayons except everything affects the work temperature, paper tooth or lack of, and layers already laid. I keep the pastels in baggies with analogous colors placed together. Cray pays get dirty easily, from use, from holding them, from putting them in the packaging and anything else you can't even imagine. They are an adventure.

How do you make time for art?

Most of my work is composed in the wee hours. There are no demands in this slice of time. I'm not a wife, a mom or any other title I own. Fortunately, I have painted long enough that most works are done within a few hours.

If you could imagine the “perfect art day” for yourself, what would it be like?

A perfect day... Everyday I get to work. Most would say that a break from the chaos of everyday life. I believe the chaos of everyday life colors what I paint. My mighty minis tell me the truth, "it's ugly" or "ughh birds again?" It gives me perspective so my work is better for it.

If you could spend 24 hours with one artist, living or historical, who would you want to spend the day with and why? What would the two of you do?

Marcel Duchamp, Dadaist, founder of the ready made art, crazy Cubist known for his photographs of "descending  man". A man who who has been where every young artist wants to be and made fun of it!

Do you have any tips or advice for aspiring artists?

Worry less about someone else giving you the title artist, you own it already. It is up to you to define what the artist title means. Does that mean you are depressed, wear black and spout beatnik poetry about your depth? If you want it to, for me, it is one more cool term to put next to my name. Enjoy the process, the rollercoaster ride of form, shape and color. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. With me, if I love love love the piece, it will never sell. So, I paint half for me and half to buy more paint.

Views: 363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hi dusty!

obviously i have good taste in friends because i see yet another has become potw!

congratulations my dear. i love your pieces, especially the blue one above of the young girl reading. that one is particularly fabulous!

i also like to work in the wee hours - claiming it my own time, and i also like to finish a painting within a couple of hours! i enjoyed your interview very much.

i will continue to follow your artistic development here at tac too! art is my therapy, and i know that, with your passion for colour and movement and light, we will travel our roads together, often!

i'm happy for your success. good luck dusty!

Congrats. On being artist of the week and one can see why, beautiful style and expression

Congrats Dusty!  I loved your interview and love your work!

Loved hearing about your "mini-me art critics"--they sure will tell you their truth!  I think my favorite piece of your is "Crayon Joker" but you have many, many wonderful pieces!

Congratulations, Dusty!  It is an honor well deserved.  And bravo on your terrific interview! Enjoyed reading it very much.  ♥

Many Congrats Dusty.....nice interview and lovely art work....xx

fantastic job Dusty!!!!

Congratulations Dusty on being our POTW!! LOVE all your work and admire you so much. It is hard to say which piece of work I love most, but think your whimsical pig n the bathtub is adorable. Your library piece is so special and of course "Stairway to Heaven" was exceptional. Keep up the great work. You are so gifted! :)

I love your style ! I'm still trying to find mine. I hear it can take awhile

Oh my goodness, what an awesome profile. Congratulations on profile of the week. hope you enjoy your week. loved your profile and what a range yo have.... thanks for sharing and hope to see more or you in the future

Congratulations Dusty on having your art in the spotlight for the week!  I thoroughly enjoyed reading your interview. I've admired your art from the first time I had seen it & I'm looking forward to seeing more of it. Enjoy your week Dusty... you deserve it  : )

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service