Welcome to Profile of the Week! We are delighted to present Maria Ximena Silva from Cali, Valle de Cauca, Colombia.

Maria creates colorful, joyful arts and crafts. To see more of Maria's artwork, visit her gallery: http://community.art-is-fun.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?scre...

When you view her portfolio, be sure to click on the images to view them larger!

Please join us for this interview with Maria:

How would you describe your art?

It is cheerful and delicate. It is a combination of all the techniques I've learned watching and practicing.

How long have you been an artist and how did you become an artist?

I studied graphic design because I was always interested in art and visual communication. I was not very talented at drawing but I insisted on trying as many times as necessary because I loved it!! I had to repeat drawing courses each semester because I could not achieve a great level, then when I graduated from college I began to work in an advertising agency where I realized that working for the ideas and dreams of others was not for me, so I retired. I went home to look after my children full-time and in my free time did crafts especially for them. Then I discovered scrap-booking and started to do some canvas paintings for friends and family and then joined the wonderful world of the ATC swap where I found beautiful friends and many inspirations Now I´m exploring art journals. I feel free and passionate because is a mixture of great techniques and filled of creativity.

What is your favorite medium and why?

I love working with acrylics because they are fast drying, good coverage and serve many surfaces and watercolors for backgrounds. I also like the collage technique, using everything in my power to turn it into art.

Tell us about one medium, technique or style that you would like to try working with (that you have not tried before) and why you would like to try this.

Textile art, I really like to start exploring the world of fabric. Following a beautiful doll swap here at The Art Colony I have discovered the huge amount of possibilities, not only in dolls but also in art journal, book binding and many other areas of art expression like utilitarian art, home decor, handbags, etc.

How do you make time for art?

Between housework, my daughters and husband I always find a time in the day for my art.

If you could imagine the “perfect art day” for yourself, what would it be like?

My perfect art day would be in a classroom full of artists to share ideas and experiences. I have not had the opportunity to attend creative art class, only drawing classes in my career in graphic design where we focused mostly on technique and not on creativity.

I love the typical handicraft of all countries, and would travel around the world learning the traditional art of each - this could be another of my perfect art day!

If you could spend 24 hours with one artist, living or historical, who would you want to spend the day with and why? What would the two of you do?

I love Teesha Moore's work, her collages take my breath away!!! She is a wonderful artist.

In my country have a wonderful indigenous culture call Wayuu or Guajiros. They are textile art creators, they live in the department of La Guajira in northern Colombia and I am an admirer of their work. Their creations are beautiful, full of color and joy like my tropical country. I dream of one day sitting with them and watching their work closely and learning a little the elaboration of their backpacks and other textile crafts.

(Here is an example of their work: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueblo_way%C3%BA#mediaviewer/Archivo:C...)

Do you have any tips or advice for aspiring artists?

My advice would be to practice every day. We must investigate materials, techniques and products, because it is not necessary to buy everything new that comes out but if you know its use then you can use creativity to get the same results with materials you already have at hand. Art is the expression of each person and should be admired and not judged.

Views: 513

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Pat, is an honor to be here.

Pat said:

Congrats Maria!  Very nice work!

Yes it is.  I actually felt special my week...lol.........You deserve it Maria.

Amazing work, Maria !!! Let's swap again soon. Congratulations !! and looking forward to seeing what you come up with next. xx

Maria Ximena Silva --- Congratulations! Profile of the Week!! Your work is astounding. It is fantastic you are the profile of the week. Such intricacies, your one inch book is brilliant. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service