Welcome to Portfolio of the Week! We are delighted to present Steve Keller from Eustis, FL, USA.

Steve creates realistic artwork of animals, landscapes and portraits. He works mostly in pencil but sometimes adds color. To see more of Steve's artwork, visit his gallery: http://community.art-is-fun.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?scre...

When you view his portfolio, be sure to click on the images to view them larger, because the detail is quite exquisite.

Please join us for this interview with Steve:

How would you describe your art?

I have done a few portraits, but my favorite subjects are animals and landscapes.

How long have you been an artist and how did you become an artist?

I am 68 years old and I just started drawing in Jan of last year.  You could say I started drawing as a result of having cancer.  I had just gone through prostate cancer surgery and after setting at home for four weeks and becoming very bored, I decided to try my hand at drawing.  I have always appreciated art but I have never taken any art classes, nor have I ever attempted any drawings.  My first drawing was an Eagle.  I didn't think it was very good, but really enjoyed doing it.  Since that time I have completed over 50 drawings.  It's amazing how something as devastating as cancer can result in something good. 

What is your favorite medium and why?

My favorite medium is pencil. Most of my drawing are black on white but I have a few colored drawings.  I plan on doing more drawing in color.

What are some of the challenges in working in your preferred medium?

Since realism is my main goal, this is my greatest challenge.  

Pick one work of art from your Art Colony portfolio and tell us the story behind it. Why does this piece have meaning to you?

My favorite drawing is "Fleeing the Storm" (shown right) which is an Arabian horse running from a storm through a field of yellow flowers.  Many years ago my wife and I owned two Arabian horses.  They are a beautiful breed.  I love to watch them run with their necks arched and their tails raised high.

Tell us about one medium, technique or style that you would like to try working with (that you have not tried before) and why you would like to try this.

Some day I would like to try watercolor.  One of my favorite water color artists is Jim Grey.  His main subject is the Smokey Mountains.  He has a gallery in Gatlinburg, Tennessee.

How do you make time for art?

I work part time in furniture sales so this provides me a considerable amount of time to do my drawings.  Sometimes I am up until three in the morning.  

If you could spend 24 hours with one artist, living or historical, who would you want to spend the day with and why? What would the two of you do?

If I could spend 24 hours with one artists, it would probably be Jim Grey.  From his work, you know he loves nature.  Since I am also a nature lover we would probable walk the trails of the Smokey Mountains and enjoy GOD's creations.  

Views: 375

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, I can't believe that you have only been drawing for a year, amazing....You had it in you and didn't even know it,,,nice work Steve!  You know I love the White Peacock...lol...

Congratulations Steve, I love the horse drawing the best too, as I am an arabian horse nut as well. Your artwork is beautiful, inspiring and just plain amazing.

i like ya art the animals  are amazung u did great work on ya art!`really amazing on great art!

Your work is gorgeous!

Had a look through your gallery Steve, so many wonderful pictures !! Congratulations and I look forward to many more.

You are... absolutely amazing!!!

hi Steve, congratulations on being featured artist your work is all excellent I can't believe you have only been drawing for a year absolutely amazing you are so talented. Look forward to seeing more of your wonderful drawings in the future. Love your white peacock !! Lyn x

Thank you everyone for your kind remarks. 

Thank you Louk!  I am currently working on a peacock in color.  My largest challenge yet.  Spent many hours so far an many to go.  

Louk Weyers PulpArt said:

What can I add to these compliments? You're talented, enjoy it and keep on posting lovely works of art for us like your Winter and Owl...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service