Post your finished Abstract Art here for Show & Tell!

Your work can be any size, any medium, as long as it is abstract and as long as it is finished.  There will be a separate thread for works-in-progress, if you want feedback on a piece before it is finished.

Please check out the Show & Tell Guidelines before posting here.

Be sure to do all of the things below if you are posting your work:

• Show us your artwork - 1 artwork per post. (Click here to learn how to add an image to your forum post.)
  • Tell us about it (medium, size, techniques, and what inspired the piece).
  • Tell us whether you welcome critique. You can type something like "Comments and feedback welcome" to indicate that you are interested in receiving constructive criticism that may help broaden your art skills. If you have specific questions about certain aspects of your piece, please ask in your initial post, because it will help other members hone in on the areas where you want feedback.

You may also comment on other people's artwork, but remember to keep it friendly and constructive.  If you like a piece, please explain why.

Can't wait to see your abstract art!  :)

Views: 4416

Replies to This Discussion

I like this piece, I sense someone running in the middle, trying to juggle too much at once, but it doesn't seem too negative. Just like you want to do all the things you love at once. I know the feelings, I want to draw, paint, convert all those tin boxes I have. I want to get my portfolio done; become the next Picasso,  getting the money while I'm alive tho lol. Being on disability and my partner trying to find a job for two years just makes me wish I could support us. Anyway, love this piece!

Starr White said:

I am attempting to give myself an art education and I recently purchased the book Painting Abstracts: Ideas, Projects, and Techniques by Rolina van Vliet.  I thought I would post one of the exercises here and show you guys what I did.  Let me know what you think - the good, the bad, and the ugly.  I don't have any outside input from anyone, and I am not objective when it comes to my own art. 

This exercise is to design a composition with large and small splashes of color, using smaller shapes in the center and larger shapes on the outside.  The theme of the exercise is "playing with shape features: large, small, with and without countours." Elements emphasized should be line, shape, color, size, tone, harmony, rhythm, repetition, design, and dynamics.

It is colored pencil on paper.  What do you think?  I would also love to see what you would come up with when following those parameters.  It would be so fun to see how many different ways those instructions could be interpreted.  I'm not that imaginative, so my interpretation is quite literal. 

Beautiful! Looks like fairies should be flying around (:

shweta rao said:

this is my latest artwork in water color n pens ...

I know this was posted some time ago, but I wanted to comment anyway. I see a Chinese attending their garden on a beautiful spring day with cherry trees blossomed along a water feature.

Starr White said:

I am attempting to give myself an art education and I recently purchased the book Painting Abstracts: Ideas, Projects, and Techniques by Rolina van Vliet.  I thought I would post one of the exercises here and show you guys what I did.  Let me know what you think - the good, the bad, and the ugly.  I don't have any outside input from anyone, and I am not objective when it comes to my own art. 

This exercise is to design a composition with large and small splashes of color, using smaller shapes in the center and larger shapes on the outside.  The theme of the exercise is "playing with shape features: large, small, with and without countours." Elements emphasized should be line, shape, color, size, tone, harmony, rhythm, repetition, design, and dynamics.

It is colored pencil on paper.  What do you think?  I would also love to see what you would come up with when following those parameters.  It would be so fun to see how many different ways those instructions could be interpreted.  I'm not that imaginative, so my interpretation is quite literal. 

Sue, this is nice - it looks very much like waves.  The colors are gorgeous.  Especially the ochre/yellow color amidst the blue/green/white of the waves, which adds a nice balance to the composition.  I think this is finished the way it is! 

Sue O'Sullivan said:

Hi, this is my first abstract painting which I have done using acrylics. My problem was deciding when it was finished??  

My inspiration, as so often, is the sea so I think I shall just call it Waves.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Jazzy, this does have a nice abstract element to it.  I'm amazed that you've never painted a person before - congrats, because this is an awesome first effort!!  The portrait has personality, and I think that is reflected in your intention to paint what you see inside rather than sticking to the photo.

I sense there is a meaning to this piece because there are a few different things going on - the ambiguous greenish figures on the left, the eye-catching portrait near the middle, and the intriguing blue/white image underneath the person's hair.  I'm not sure what it all means, but it is thought-provoking!

Jazzylady said:

I wasn't sure if I should post it under Portraits or here, but I think it is more abstract although I did make a sketch before. But I also added elements to it, so it is not the same as the photo. It was very interesting to do it, because I never painted a person before. My intent was to paint what I see inside, not trying to stick to the photo except the rough similarities. Not sure if I suceeded and I know that it is not great in the technical aspect because I am not a good drawer. Tried to make the best out of it.

Lea, this is very pretty!  I love the simplicity of the black and white, and the complexity of the detailed design.  I also like the contrast of the square grid against the flowing curvy lines.  It's very groovy!

Lea Sapsford said:

I did this picture this afternoon.  I've used black felt-tip pen.

The squares are 2 cm  x 2 cm and the whole thing is 16cm x 16 cm. 

What do you think?

This is a very dramatic sketch, Kendal, so I think it reflects the thought process behind it very well.  It also has a distorted feel to it so I think you accomplished what you were trying to achieve with this sketch. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister and how you were treated as a child.  It is unfortunate when people are made to feel bad about their bodies.  I'm glad that it sounds like you are in a better place now where you see yourself - and your body - for what it really is - a beautiful human body.  Some people never get to that point.  Congrats to you for pulling through.

Thank you for sharing such a deep and personal piece!

Kendal Rooney said:

7x10 sketch called Distortions. How we are made to feel about our bodies, whether from tv, magazines or family. I didn't spend much time as a child in front of a mirror, so my Dad lead me to believe I was fat, but a few years ago after my big sisters suicide I went back to California. i was looking through an album as she had all the family albums, much to my surprise and my other sisters I wasn't over weight at all. In fact from the time we could pull weeds, about 6, we worked, bucking bails, chopping wood. I was very muscular, more so them most guys my age. So it's no wonder so many women, and men have distorted images of themselves.

Thank you Thaneeya. My sister had wondered if some things are just to personal to put in public. I should have told her to visit some museums. Art isn't just to invoke happy feelings, it should invoke a wide verity of emotions. Not all art is for everyone, but if we are true to ourselves it shows in our work. At least that is how I view it (: 

My latest...Drawing has never come easily to me.  So I have to be truly inspired.  Usually I see something I like and then I take one small aspect of it and magnify and embellish on it.  So for me I guess it comes from the outside influences as well as the inside.  Often they take on a life of their own and look nothing like what I may have been thinking of in the beginning.  I just let it take me where it will.

Marsha, your drawing is very elegant.  I like the variation of the line and shape thicknesses, and how everything is so precise.  Thank you for giving us some insight into your inspiration and creative process.

I've just discovered this website today and LOVE the works that I've seen here as well as the amount information available. This is abstract acrylic painting. 9x12 on canvas paper and framed. Its entitled "Incomplete Thought".  Enjoy!

~Alicia

Estetika Exposure: Art by AmW

Alicia, I love the concept and execution! I like how you created just a "hint" of a figure, using minimal lines - it makes it look like the person is lost in thoughts or feelings, perhaps in a state of confusion. The puzzle pieces add to the effect.  Nice work!

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service