What is the difference between Gloss Varnish vs fluid gloss medium and varnish vs gel medium

Hello Friends,

               I want to work on projects related to decoupaging, mixed media, canvas work with acrylic paints. To seal my project I am confused among so many products. Since I would be working on Wood, canvas, metal, paper, ceramic pots etc. I need an all purpose gloss varnish. I have come across these products:

Liquitex high gloss varnish (very costly)

Liquitex fluid gloss medium and varnish 

Golden Gel Topcoats w/UVLSGloss

Daler-Rowney Impasto Gel Acrylic Medium

Ranger Multi medium gloss (Thick paste)

I fail to understand which one is the best to work on all above mentioned surfaces which are meant for interior and exterior use. I do not know how to use Golden Gel Topcoats w/UVLSGloss and Daler-Rowney Impasto Gel Acrylic Medium as well. 

Please help me with this query.

Thanks and regards,

Harpreet Kaur.

Views: 752

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Harpreet

Ive experimented with lots of different materials over the years and have to say that most of the artists varnish products out there are pretty expensive and usually come in small tubs that barely cover the work needing coated. It can be pretty costly

Im not sure if youve tried regular wood varnish from the hardware store but thats what i use for my paintings and it works great as long as you buy polyurethane based varnish, its a white liquid just like the more expensive types that will dry clear and you can re apply. I buy this one a lot - Ronseal Interior Varnish

It should work well on most types of art paints and materials like cloth, paper, ceramic ect, not sure how it would be on metal but you could try that and see what you think.

Daler-Rowney Impasto Gel Acrylic Medium is a thick gel that you would use to thicken up paints when you are doing collages and an Impasto style of painting,

where as Liquitex fluid gloss medium and varnish are 2 seperate items, one is a regular varnish while the other - the fluid gloss medium is a liquid that you would mix in with acrylic paints to help the paints move and flow better if you were creating the sort of painting that needs dripping effects or fluid style work, i do a lot of that style so if you have any questions with it or anything, let me know.

Hope that helped, happy painting

Thanks for your answer to this topic. It helps me a lot to find a better vanish. I will try to find the wood vanish.

Happy to help

Hilla Powell Bajwa said:

Thanks for your answer to this topic. It helps me a lot to find a better vanish. I will try to find the wood vanish.

Reply to Discussion



New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.


The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!


It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!


Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:






© 2018   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service