I am stealing this question from Mixed Media Arts now :-). But it is a interesting topic

How did or do you find your specific style to paint?

I am still a beginner, so my style seems slowly to develop. But it is more that my style finds me, not the other way around. And I am trying myself out a lot.

I think my style is determined by my life experience, my emotions, the music I love, the different cultures I am exposed to through friends. It is not that I said, ok I want to do a certain style. But I always loved strong colours and bold paintings. I like also comic art and african paintings. Also pop art and well, many artists, not only abstract ones. But I don't warm up much to impressionists - in general. There are always exception to the rules :-).

So I think all this is influencing me on a sub-conscious level. And lately I see a certain pattern in my paintings evolving, which isn't intentionally. It just happens.

But I don't want to restrict myself, I want to try everything out which I feel connected to.

Views: 702

Replies to This Discussion

I'm kind of in the same situation.  I haven't been painting for two long, and am definitely evolving.  I have done mostly abstract painting, and love it.  I also tend to use strong colors a lot.  But, I recently decided to take a leap and started lessons with an artist who does very structured realistic paintings of flowers, and  really learn her technique.  I am loving it, too!  The challenge of training my eye to find the details and translate that into paint on canvas is really fun.  And I love nature.  I think I will continue to take lessons in various styles, as I pick up new techniques and understandings every time I work with another style, or another artist.  Maybe I'll never stop evolving, or develop into one kind of artist.  I'm kind of eclectic in all aspects of my life, and I'm 61, so why should I settle down now!

Hi JazzyLady!

Its funny that you posted this. I can relate to you in so many ways. I too am in the beginning stages of my art. I had recently attended an art show for the first time. While socializing with others, the question of what type of art did I do came up. Without looking puzzled, I just replied 'abstract' because that is the only style form that I could remember. lol I hadn't had any formal art classes so that question kind of stunned me. So then began thinking...'what is my style'.

I began searching on the web for the different styles of art there were, to try and understand what category I fit in. Through my search, I found this very web site (The Art Colony) and decided to join. As I searched and searched online and looked at definitions, I felt as if no one category fit me. As you stated, my work is also an expression of life, emotions, etc.

I've done some abstract pieces and finding myself doing more of them. However, like yourself, I don't want to restrict myself either. 

As the weather is warming up and I'm traveling to different places (short/long distance), I find inspiration as well as develop as an artist.

Its truly a blessing to be gifted with this talent. KEEP CREATING! :)

I will take more painting and drawing lessons also to learn more about styles and techniques and teach myself by copying other artists as practice. This helps also, I find. Wish I had more time for painting, I would do so much more.

Becca Kelly said:

I'm kind of in the same situation.  I haven't been painting for two long, and am definitely evolving.  I have done mostly abstract painting, and love it.  I also tend to use strong colors a lot.  But, I recently decided to take a leap and started lessons with an artist who does very structured realistic paintings of flowers, and  really learn her technique.  I am loving it, too!  The challenge of training my eye to find the details and translate that into paint on canvas is really fun.  And I love nature.  I think I will continue to take lessons in various styles, as I pick up new techniques and understandings every time I work with another style, or another artist.  Maybe I'll never stop evolving, or develop into one kind of artist.  I'm kind of eclectic in all aspects of my life, and I'm 61, so why should I settle down now!

Actually I think it is good not to put ourselves in categories, means we are unique :-). Like I said, for practice I study the work of artists I like and get some ideas from it, but I try to make my own thing out of it. This is the fun part.

Can't wait for the summer and I am planning to join a group of people who get together sundays on the river to paint and display their work. I am trying not to worry too much about it that I am only a beginner and they may all be much more advanced. :-).

A-Marie Walter said:

Hi JazzyLady!

Its funny that you posted this. I can relate to you in so many ways. I too am in the beginning stages of my art. I had recently attended an art show for the first time. While socializing with others, the question of what type of art did I do came up. Without looking puzzled, I just replied 'abstract' because that is the only style form that I could remember. lol I hadn't had any formal art classes so that question kind of stunned me. So then began thinking...'what is my style'.

I began searching on the web for the different styles of art there were, to try and understand what category I fit in. Through my search, I found this very web site (The Art Colony) and decided to join. As I searched and searched online and looked at definitions, I felt as if no one category fit me. As you stated, my work is also an expression of life, emotions, etc.

I've done some abstract pieces and finding myself doing more of them. However, like yourself, I don't want to restrict myself either. 

As the weather is warming up and I'm traveling to different places (short/long distance), I find inspiration as well as develop as an artist.

Its truly a blessing to be gifted with this talent. KEEP CREATING! :)

hello! i have not been painting for a long time, I did do art college a long long time ago but ended up teaching languages and just painting or doing pottery as a hobby!! I am now retired, and started again but with abstract painting! I feel attracted to bright colours and can use them as much as i want with this style of painting. I am doing exactly what i want and how i want it without having to follow guidelines and a framework of colours and shapes! I don't think I fit in with any category either excepted abstract as I am not doing representative art! I am enjoying myself very much anyway! 



Jazzylady said:

Actually I think it is good not to put ourselves in categories, means we are unique :-). Like I said, for practice I study the work of artists I like and get some ideas from it, but I try to make my own thing out of it. This is the fun part.

Can't wait for the summer and I am planning to join a group of people who get together sundays on the river to paint and display their work. I am trying not to worry too much about it that I am only a beginner and they may all be much more advanced. :-).

A-Marie Walter said:

Hi JazzyLady!

Its funny that you posted this. I can relate to you in so many ways. I too am in the beginning stages of my art. I had recently attended an art show for the first time. While socializing with others, the question of what type of art did I do came up. Without looking puzzled, I just replied 'abstract' because that is the only style form that I could remember. lol I hadn't had any formal art classes so that question kind of stunned me. So then began thinking...'what is my style'.

I began searching on the web for the different styles of art there were, to try and understand what category I fit in. Through my search, I found this very web site (The Art Colony) and decided to join. As I searched and searched online and looked at definitions, I felt as if no one category fit me. As you stated, my work is also an expression of life, emotions, etc.

I've done some abstract pieces and finding myself doing more of them. However, like yourself, I don't want to restrict myself either. 

As the weather is warming up and I'm traveling to different places (short/long distance), I find inspiration as well as develop as an artist.

Its truly a blessing to be gifted with this talent. KEEP CREATING! :)

Enjoying it is the most important thing :-). And I do enjoy it a lot.

But I just finished my last painting and now I decided I want to take time to draw and study some artists I like, figure out new things to help me growing. As long as no one is pushing me and I can do it in my own way, I like the learning process as well. But often it is so much fun to just splash colour on the canvas and let it come out as it wants.

I have been asking myself the same question lately, and I have been painting for 30 years...I started out in oils, doing traditional art and commission pieces for clients, although I am self taught. Then I jumped into fabric painting and sold to a wholesaler for a couple of years. Then I had my own gift shop/commission artwork shop for awhile, after working out of my home for quite a while.

Anyway, what I want to say is this-I have constantly evolved during the years. Now I do more highly detailed abstract mixed media, altered books, but with an "edge" to them. Nothing Frilly or girly for me much, lots of abstract and details, lol! But I still kind of bounce back and forth depending on the project. I don't think it's really fair to try to fit ourselves inside of a box and label ourselves...it limits us unfairly!

yes I agree with you Laura, categorising people takes the creativity out and each person producing abstract paintings is unique because he/she is guided by his/her subconscious in some respects! better to think as individuals!

Laura Thykeson said:

I have been asking myself the same question lately, and I have been painting for 30 years...I started out in oils, doing traditional art and commission pieces for clients, although I am self taught. Then I jumped into fabric painting and sold to a wholesaler for a couple of years. Then I had my own gift shop/commission artwork shop for awhile, after working out of my home for quite a while.

Anyway, what I want to say is this-I have constantly evolved during the years. Now I do more highly detailed abstract mixed media, altered books, but with an "edge" to them. Nothing Frilly or girly for me much, lots of abstract and details, lol! But I still kind of bounce back and forth depending on the project. I don't think it's really fair to try to fit ourselves inside of a box and label ourselves...it limits us unfairly!

wow, this is a great picture, I love it.

It took me almost 50 years to realize that I can paint. I always thought I wasn't good because I did what other people said is the right way to go about it. And it didn't work for me, so I gave up. In my beginner art class some people are copying pictures down to every detail. And for some it is so frustrating, of course it never looks like the original. I try to tell them just play with the paint and the forms and have fun. The rest will come later. That I say with my limited knowledge of course. :-) But I think what stopped me was exactly this and only when I forgot about all these rules, I discovered what is inside me. It should be fun and nothing else. As long as you don't have to make a living of it, who cares what other people say, as long as you love what you are doing.

I think it is not easy to confirm ur style because by the time u r comfortable in one style, u would like to delve into something else, which may come more easily to you and u start thinking of that as ur original style. This happens to the best I'm sure. I am an off and on artist but have painted abstracts and whatever catches my fancy so I do not have a style at all. But these days I feel I am more attracted to whimsical. Funnily, I love that form and would like my walls covered with only whimsical but I can't make it myself.

Yes, you are right. What may be my style today may not be mine tomorrow, it probably changes with us :-). Right now I am doing a whimsical for a friend, it will be my first painting I sell... It is not what I would want to do all the time, because it requires so much patience, but once I am at it, I enjoy it very much. To bring the colours together, fill out the patterns is like meditating a little bit. But I think that our paintings have certain characteristics which comes from us. Like for me it is impossible to paint in pastel colours. I try it and somehow it always ends up being bold and colorful ;-).

Hi everyone :)

I just joined The Art Colony.

Just a beginner in acrylics, but have always been creative in some way.

LOVE colors and I find that I love working in the abstract world, with a lot of different boxes/squares and so....

Don´t know if thats a particular style???

I just know, that I love working in this way, making all the fields work together somehow.....

I have TRIED to study the different kinds of styles on the net, but I quickly get confused.....

My teacher right now, just says: Find out what makes you feel the creative flow, and just have fun with it. Do not worry if a project does´t work anyway at the end, you learn from your mistakes..... Because it means you are being bold and trying out new things.....

If you always stay in your comfort zone, you will never grow as an artists...

Does this make sense?

Lone :)

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

 

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

 

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service