Something is wrong... Usually I paint and draw all day long. Lately I just can't get into it. I don't know whats wrong. I feel like something is missing or maybe I'm trying to hard. I don't know what it is. Has anyone run into this problem before?

Views: 401

Replies to This Discussion

I have found that too much stress zaps the creativity right out of me, and that's when I need it most! To help get the creative juices flowing again, try a no-pressure, relaxing (almost meditative) form of creativity such as Zentangles and Mandalas. There's lots of how-tos on Youtube. The rhythmic patterns of your Zentangle/Mandala doodles can be relaxing yet stimulating at the same time, leading to some artistic ideas and designs you might not have thought of before. Good luck.

Interesting topic but, as you can image, the problem is not new.  Many people express a need to get into the mood before they can get back into producing work--they can afford the wait as their production it's necessarily connected to paying their bills.  Others who rely on the sales of their work can't afford to wait for the spirit to move them.  They would be the people who should be asked, 'how do you do it?'  For the rest of us who seem to go in and out of creative moments either because our ideas and energy are temporarily depleted or because of other commitments in our lives, we often times sit around waiting for lighting to strike.  When that doesn't happens, we have to rely on self-motivation. 

Everyone's suggestions in this blog are good ones. Here are some more suggestions to consider:  get involved with a local arts organization or start one up.  You will be amazed at what happens when you come in contact with other creative people and their work.  If you are too introverted for such volunteerism, consider covering up or destroying one (or as many as needed) of your works that has been annoying you for some time.  You will be surprised at how therapeutic that act of personal art vandalism has on your psyche.  Depending on the medium or materials that you are using, just the act of covering or changing the item quickly can often times trigger a creative response which in turn triggers ideas which is what often times you were waiting for.  How about this one:  clean up your work space!  You can't tell me that it doesn't need it.  It looks that same way that you last left it and it was at the beginning of your creative slump.  So when you look at your work space, it probably doesn't remind you of the last time you were really into making something, it really reminds you of the beginning of not making something! 

For me taking a few moments to write in this blog seems to have done the trick.  I'm going to go paint having not done so for almost two weeks.  If nothing seems to work for you, then perhaps you are better at making excuses then making your artwork.  Good luck

Good work.

Jazzylady said:

When I am stucked, I do something which is fun and easy for me. Or I practice drawing lessons. Or I just forget about it for a while :-). I think, the worst is to put yourself under pressure to be creative. Personally I keep in mind that not everything needs to be deep and meaningful. This here is one of the styles I have fun with, it is easy to do and helps my mind relax.

Oh yes!!....my muse takes extended sabbaticals all the time.....but it comes back home sooner or later....I wouldn't worry!  :-D

Sometimes deep and meaningful is way too much pressure......color and shape just for it's own sake is awesome I think!!  :-D

Kalpana said:

Good work.

Jazzylady said:

When I am stucked, I do something which is fun and easy for me. Or I practice drawing lessons. Or I just forget about it for a while :-). I think, the worst is to put yourself under pressure to be creative. Personally I keep in mind that not everything needs to be deep and meaningful. This here is one of the styles I have fun with, it is easy to do and helps my mind relax.

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service